Released on January 20, 2015
The recent cold snap has people dreaming of sun and sand but the Consumer Protection Division of the Financial and Consumer Affairs Authority reminds consumers to be aware of scam artists claiming to sell discount travel packages.
Callers claiming to represent Luxury Getaway Group have been offering travel packages to people in Saskatchewan. Luxury Getaway Group is not licenced as a direct seller.
Unsolicited sales calls are considered direct sales under The Direct Sellers Act. If a salesperson or company calls you to sell something, they are required to have a licence.Red flags include:
- Beware of unsolicited phone calls or mailers that offer travel packages that sound too good to be true.
- High pressure sales – If a caller pressures you to "buy now or lose out on a limited time offer", you should be wary.
If you think you are the target of a travel package scam, record the date and time of the call, the name of the telemarketer, their phone number, website or additional identification information and contact the Consumer Protection Division at firstname.lastname@example.org or toll free at 1-877-880-5550.
- Ask for the licence number and confirm it is valid on www.fcaa.gov.sk.ca/fcaa411/.
- Don’t give out your credit card number over the phone unless you initiate the call and know who you are calling.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau and research the company for free online at www.bbb.org/saskatchewan/.
For more information, contact:
Financial and Consumer Affairs Authority of Saskatchewan