Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Public Utility and Service Fees For Municipalities

Municipalities have the jurisdiction to establish municipal services and the ability to set fees associated with those services.

Council may, by bylaw, establish a public utility service and set any rates, charges, tolls, fares or rents for the service including the lease or sale of equipment, fittings, equipment, meters or other things needed to deliver the service to consumers. Each municipality sets its own rates or fees based on its costs of providing the service. The Saskatchewan Municipal Board approves the rates, charges, tools or rents contained in a utility rate bylaw.

In situations where public utility accounts and services go unpaid, The Municipalities Act empowers a municipality with several options to collect the unpaid fees:

  • It may stop providing the public utility service;
  • It may add a lien on land or collection by distress (sale of goods to satisfy amounts payable for the provision of service);
  • It may add unpaid charges for the provided service to the land's property taxes.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve