Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan`s web site have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow text box that resembles the link below and can be found in the right hand rail of the page. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found here:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

The results of software-based translation do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos, and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Alteration of an Organized Hamlet’s Boundaries

An organized hamlet may wish to alter its boundaries to add or remove land from its area. An application for boundary alteration cannot be made by the unincorporated organized hamlet, so if a hamlet board wants to alter its boundaries it must work cooperatively with its municipal council. 

Section 61 of The Municipalities Act allows the Minister to issue an order that will alter the boundaries of an organized hamlet.

The organized hamlet board should discuss the option of altering its boundary with the municipal council and any affected landowners. It is recommended that a public meeting be held to discuss the proposal and answer questions from the affected ratepayers.

Organized hamlets are advisory to the municipal council, all proposals for organized hamlet boundary alterations must be submitted by the municipality. The following documentation should be submitted to request a boundary change of an organized hamlet:

  1. a motion from the organized hamlet board to alter the boundary;
  2. a complementary supporting resolution from the municipal council;
  3. a listing of the reasons for the proposed boundary alteration;
  4. proof of consent from the registered landowner to have their lands included within the organized hamlet;
  5. a plan of the proposed boundary alteration; and
  6. the registered plan numbers affected by the proposed boundary change.

After a review of the submission, if the Minister is of the opinion that the boundary of the organized hamlet should be altered, the Minister may issue an order causing the alteration. The order will state the effective date of the boundary change and will describe the new boundary of the organized hamlet.

From the effective date of the order, all previous boundary description orders are repealed and the new boundary description is deemed to be the legal description of the organized hamlet.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve