Demographic and census reports form a qualitative portrait of the people of Saskatchewan.
Population estimates are released on a quarterly basis by Statistics Canada's Demography Division. These estimates are Canada's official population figures. In addition to being an economic indicator, they have a variety of uses, such as the determination of federal transfer payments and electoral boundaries. Numerous sources, including the census, are used to produce the population estimates. Following each quarterly release by Statistics Canada, the Saskatchewan Bureau of Statistics produces a report on changes in Saskatchewan's population and the sources of those changes.
Quarterly Reports and Statistics
- 2022 Second Quarter Saskatchewan Population Report
- Quarterly components of change in Saskatchewan population - 1971 to date
- Quarterly components of change in Saskatchewan population - 1971 to date (Excel)
Annual Reports and Statistics
Every five years Statistics Canada conducts a national census. The census provides a detailed picture of the population's characteristics at a point in time. The results of the census are released in batches over the course of around two years. For each release of census data, the Saskatchewan Bureau of Statistics prepares a report detailing relevant or interesting developments in Saskatchewan.
2021 Census of Population
The first release of findings from the 2021 Census is now available online. The data provide overall population and dwelling counts that are vital to understanding how population growth and international and internal migration patterns have changed the fabric of Canada's provinces and territories, as well as its cities, towns and rural areas.
View the 2021 Saskatchewan Census Population Report and the corresponding 2021 Census Population Analysis. Census information can also be accessed via the StatsCAN mobile app. It is available for download in the Apple and Google app stores.
- Population by Census Division (PDF) (Excel)
- Population by Community (PDF) (Excel) (Infographic)
- Population by Age, Sex and Gender (PDF)
- Census by Income (PDF) (Infographic)
- Census Families, Households and Marital Status (PDF) (Infographic)
- Census Language (PDF) (Infographic)
- Census Indigenous Population (PDF) (Infographic)
- Census Housing (PDF) (Infographic)
- Census Immigration, Citizenship and Ethnocultural Diversity (PDF) (Infographic)
- Census Labour (PDF)
- Census Education (PDF)
For more information, visit Data table, Census Profile, 2021 Census of Population - Saskatchewan [Province] (statcan.gc.ca).
2016 Census Reports
The 2016 Census created a snapshot of life in Canada on May 10, 2016. The 2016 Census reports are available at the Publications Centre.
2016 Census Population and Dwelling Count Amendments
Following the release of population and dwelling counts, Statistics Canada sometimes amends the counts if an error is found in the data. Statistics Canada does not correct the census database or data products, but does publish population and dwelling count amendments, 2016 Census for affected census areas.