Registered Independent Schools
An independent school is a school that is owned by a person or an organization other than a public authority or the government.
There are five categories of independent schools:
- Registered Independent Schools
- Alternative Independent Schools
- Associate Schools
- Historical High Schools
- Qualified Independent Schools
The Education Act and The Registered Independent Schools Regulations grant that any school seeking to exempt a school age child from attending a public or separate school must register with the Ministry of Education.
Independent schools give parents the opportunity to provide an education to their children according to their beliefs.
Churches, denominations and religious societies can operate schools, not always in complete accordance with public education practices.
In order to register and/or continue to operate in the province, independent schools must meet the following conditions:
- Must be incorporated in Saskatchewan (contact Information Services Corporation for details on how to incorporate).
- Must have a minimum of three adults from three different family units serving as board members.
- Must enrol full-time students between the ages of six and 21 from three different families.
- Must own or operate school facilities that meet safety, health and construction standards (contact your local fire prevention and health officials for inspections, and submit inspection reports with your application package).
- Must have goals of education consistent with the Goals of Education for Saskatchewan.
- Must not be owned or operated by an Indian Band (refer to the Canadian Indian Act for definition).
For a full description of all the requirements, please consult The Registered Independent Schools Regulations and The Registered Independent Schools Policy and Procedures Manual.
3. How to Apply
In order to register an independent school, you must apply to the Independent Schools and Home-based Education unit of the Ministry of Education.
If you are interested in starting a registered independent school, you should first meet with the staff in the Independent Schools and Home-based Education unit to discuss your plans and to arrange for a site visit.
If you require assistance to prepare the application, please contact:
It's important to submit your registration form and support documents no later than January 31 in order to be eligible to begin operating in September of the same year.Download the Information and Registration Package
Please submit the application package to:
Director, Independent Schools & Home-Based Education
Ministry of Education
409A Park Street
Regina, SK S4N 5B2
5. Further Information
For further details, please consult the Registered Independent Schools: Handbook to Register a School in Saskatchewan.