Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Moving Farm Equipment

When moving agricultural equipment on a highway, you will need to know the type of equipment covered, as well as situations requiring a permit. You will also need to know the restrictions, when escort vehicles are required and designated highways. There may be times when you do not require a permit to haul farm machinery. This depends on the type of equipment being moved, the time of day and the highway you're using.

The following are considered farm equipment:

  • Tractors
  • Combines
  • Tilling equipment
  • Seeders
  • Sprayers
  • Manure spreaders

This definition does not include items used for shelter/storage of agricultural products, such as:

  • Grain bins
  • Hopper bottoms or cones
  • Livestock shelters

Hauling Bales

Transporting Oversized Sprayers

Permit Required

  • When farm equipment is being towed or is self-propelled:
    • on a designated highway and protrudes into the oncoming lane for a two lane highway;
    • on a highway and protrudes into the passing lane for a four lane highway; or
    • at night (between sunset and sunrise) on a non-designated highway.
  • When farm equipment is loaded on a vehicle or dollies and travels on any provincial highway (exceeding 2.6 m or 8.6 ft wide).
  • Single trip permits are available if machinery exceeds the maximum size limits up to an unlimited amount. If over 7.3 m in width, route approval is required. If over 5.18 m in height, permits are subject to clearance of vertical structures and utilities (ex. power lines).
  • If the machinery is partially loaded on a dolly, and is also running on its own wheels, it is considered towed farm equipment, and follows the permit guidelines for towed farm equipment.

For a permit, contact the SGI Permit Office at 306-775-6969

When No Permit is Required

  • Farm equipment that is being transported on a municipal road and does not travel on a provincial highway.
  • Equipment that is towed behind a vehicle or that is self-propelled on a non-designated provincial highway when travelling during daylight hours.
  • Over-dimension signs and flashing beacons are recommended but not mandatory.


Loaded farm equipment cannot be hauled on Fridays, Sundays and statutory holidays including:

  • After 3 p.m. on Fridays (starting the Friday before Victoria Day and ending Labour Day).
  • After noon on Sundays, Public Holidays, December 24, 27, and 31.
  • After 3 p.m. on the day before a public holiday. If a holiday falls on a Monday, normal Sunday restrictions apply.
  • After 3 p.m. on Fridays, when a public holiday falls on the following Saturday, Sunday or Monday.

Escort Vehicles

  • Regulation escort vehicles are required:
    • When equipment is loaded and exceeds dimensions (refer to the fact sheet below).
    • When travelling from dealership to dealership.
    • When travelling from dealership to auction.
  • Farm escort vehicles are required:
    • When travelling from dealership to farm.
    • When travelling only on municipal roads.
  • Most lanes on provincial highways are between 3.5 m and 3.7 m wide. If the equipment is wider, you may need an escort or permit.
  • If the equipment is loaded, it is not allowed to travel on the shoulder unless the equipment is towed, it is allowed to travel on the shoulder.

Designated Highway

Highway Description
1 All
2 Assiniboia to Chamberlain and Jct. Hwy 11 to Jct. Hwy 264
3 Tisdale to Jct. Hwy 404
4 Jct. Hwy 379 to Jct. Hwy 342 and North Battleford to Jct. Hwy 26
5 Watson to Saskatoon
6 Corinne to Melfort
7 All
9 Jct. Hwy 13 to Jct. 48 and Yorkton to Canora
10 All
11 All
14 Saskatoon to Biggar
16 All
18 Jct. Hwy 9 to Jct. Hwy 39
21 Kindersley to Kerrobert
22 Esterhazy to Jct. Hwy 9
33 10 km southeast of Regina to Regina
35 Tisdale to Nipawin
39 U.S. Border to Corinne
41 Jct. Hwy 5 to Jct. Hwy 27
46 All
55 Prince Albert to Jct. Hwy 120

For More Information

Permit Office
306-775-6969 in Saskatchewan or 1-800-667-7575

Ministry of Highways

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve