Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Assistance in Bargaining

Part VI of The Saskatchewan Employment Act outlines the process of dispute resolution through the minister's appointment of labour relations officers, special mediators and conciliation boards. They are generally people who are experienced in labour relations matters including facilitating resolution of collective agreement and collective bargaining disputes.

How is a Labour Relations Officer Appointed?

The minister may require the director of Labour Relations and Mediation to appoint a labour relations officer to investigate, mediate and report to the minister on a labour-management dispute at the request of either party involved in the dispute or on the minister's own initiative.

The parties may request the minister or the director of Labour Relations and Mediation provide bargaining assistance any time during the negotiation process. (section 6-27 of the Act)

Once an impasse is reached, either party shall notify the minister, pursuant to section 6-33. The minister shall appoint a labour relations officer, a special mediator or a conciliation board to mediate or conciliate the dispute, with specific terms as described in the Act.

How is a Special Mediator Appointed and Who Makes the Appointment?

The minister may appoint a person as a special mediator to investigate, mediate and report to the minister on a labour-management dispute at the request of either party involved in the dispute or on the minister's own initiative.

In section 6-28 of The Saskatchewan Employment Act, either party may request the assistance of a special mediator; however, appointments are made at the discretion of the minister, usually after conciliation has been unsuccessful. If the minister feels the involvement of a special mediator is necessary, the minister will determine the procedures the special mediator will follow. This may include the publication of the terms of reference and the publication of any reports submitted by the special mediator to the minister. Once appointed, a special mediator has the powers of a commissioner pursuant to The Public Inquiries Act, 2013 and is not bound by the rules of evidence, but may receive and accept any evidence the special mediator considers appropriate. The minister also has the discretion to replace the special mediator or terminate the appointment of the special mediator at any time.

How and when is a Conciliation Board Appointed?

The appointment of a conciliation board may be requested by either party involved a labour-management dispute to the minister or be appointed on the minister's own initiative. Similar to a special mediator, the conciliation board is tasked with investigating, conciliating, and reporting to the minister on the labour-management dispute.

Conciliation boards are rarely used and usually only in situations that involve a complex labour relations environment involving multiple unions and multiple employers.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve