Some employees are exempt from overtime or covered by special overtime rules.
Overtime provisions do not apply to:
- employees who provide service of a managerial character;
- employees who are professional practitioners, required to be registered or licensed with a self-regulating body under any Act and independently operate to provide their services to the public;
- employees primarily engaged in mineral exploration operations north of Township 62 (Township 62 is roughly along the northern boundary of Meadow Lake Provincial Park);
- logging industry employees, including employees providing food services and security services, but employees working in an office, saw mill or planing mill get overtime pay;
- salespersons who are paid all by commission on sales usually away from the employer’s location and who regularly travel to two or more cities, towns or villages that are at least 20 kilometres apart;
- motor vehicle salespersons;
- persons employed by rural municipalities in connection with road construction or maintenance, or servicing of road repair or maintenance equipment that is not done in the shop;
- employees working for outfitters, fishers, or trappers; or
- come-in care providers working in private homes.
Please call the Employment Standards Division for more information about overtime exemptions and special rules.