A company can no longer declare down-spacing. Any reduced setback that is not covered within Directive PNG006 requires a spacing modification authorization. See Well Spacing Modification for more details.
Adding a bore while drilling
To add a wellbore to a horizontal well during drilling, contact:
- ER Service Desk during business hours at 1-855-219-9373 or ER.email@example.com.
- ERD Emergency Incidents Hotline after hours and on weekends at 1-844-764-3637.
- Provide notification on the proposed bore and basic information such as the bottom hole location, confirmation that the bore is within the same stratigraphic unit as the original licence, etc.
- An entity is created within IRIS to allow the bore to be reported on.
- An operator is expected to meet the requirements they have disclosed within the well licence application. The as-drilled information is reviewed by the ministry in IRIS. If the well does not meet regulatory requirements it may be subject to action.
Unintentional setback violation
In the case of an unintentional setback violation from a competitive lease boundary, the operator must immediately notify the offsetting mineral and working interest owners with an explanation. A copy of the notification must be provided to the ministry along with comments regarding any previous communications with offsetting owners. The well should be voluntarily shut-in and consents obtained before production can begin.
Crossing a Unit Boundary
A horizontal production well can be proposed to licence with the productive interval crossing a unit boundary. On the licence application within the completion detail, indicate the well is crossing a unit boundary. Production allocation must be specified as per Directive PNG006. Declaration must be made that the proposed well is not meeting equity setbacks and that agreements are in place between unit/non-unit/other unit parties. An attachment must be provided that shows the impacted units and other parties that make up the drainage area of the well and confirms agreements are in place with said parties to allow for production allocation in accordance with Directive PNG006.