Once a licensee has been deemed an orphan, the Orphan Fund Procurement Program manages the well and facility licences by securing vendors to abandon the wells, decommission the facilities and reclaim the well and facility sites.
The lists below contain the well and facility licences that have been designated orphans by the ministry.
Note: licences that were abandoned and reclaimed prior to the licensee being deemed an orphan are not included as there is no work required under the orphan program.
The orphan inventory lists contain further information regarding the stage of each licence in terms of abandonment and/or reclamation progress.
- Site Consent Granted: indicates whether the landowner has provided the ministry consent (Yes/No) to enter the orphaned well/facility site and complete the abandonment and/or reclamation work required.
- WIP: indicates those licensed sites where a Working Interest Participant has been identified and is completing the abandonment and/or reclamation work, under the orphan program, on the orphaned licensee's behalf. The WIP can later apply for Reimbursement of a Defunct Licensee's Working Interest Participant Costs out of the orphan fund.
- Orphan Licensee WIP %: indicates the deemed licensee's working interest in the well or facility licence. This is later used by the ministry to calculate the reimbursement amount eligible for a WIP that has completed the orphaned abandonment and reclamation.
- Orphan Abandonment Status:
- Not Applicable – indicate licences where the well was cut and cap abandoned or the facility was decommissioned in IRIS prior to being deemed an orphan. Thus no work is to be managed by the Orphan Fund Procurement Program.
- Required – indicate licences that require well cut and cap abandonment or facility decommissioning under the Orphan program.
- No Longer Required – abandonment work was initially required under the orphan program when deemed, however, prior to the work being completed, the licence was transferred to an eligible licensee instead.
- Completed (paperwork only) – for facility sites sometimes, there is no physical facility on the site to decommission and therefore, no expense incurred. As such, the facility abandonment is simply paperwork to update IRIS.
- Completed – the well has been cut and capped or the facility decommissioned, and this is reflected in IRIS.
- Orphan Reclamation Status:
- Required – indicate licences that require reclamation under the Orphan Program
- No longer Required – reclamation work was initially required under the orphan program when deemed; however, prior to the work being completed, the licence was transferred to an eligible licensee instead.
- Exemption Acquired – the well/facility licence received Full Exemption from Reclamation Approval and responsibility for reclamation of the site was transferred to another well/facility licence at the site.
- Completed – the well/facility site has been reclaimed and received either a grandfathered or Acknowledgement of Reclamation (AOR) approval, and this is reflected in IRIS.