Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Operate a Pollutant Control Facility


You must meet specific requirements in order to receive approval to operate a pollutant control facility. You must provide decommissioning and reclamation plans and confirmation to the Minister for approval.


Receiving approval to operate a pollutant control facility allows an owner or operator to reduce potential harm from environmental contamination when operating a mining operation.


No person shall operate a pollutant control facility for the purpose of causing or permitting the discharge, drainage, diversion, deep well injection, handling or on-site transportation of any substance that may be a pollutant unless the person first obtains approval to do so, and obtains an approved decommissioning and reclamation plan and assurance fund.

How to Apply

All information should be submitted through Environment Business Services document submission process, or through the assigned Environmental Protection Officer.

The application must include the following information and material:

  • A statement of the nature of the wildlife, fisheries, air, water resources, soil and hydrogeology in the area of the facility;
  • Site maps of the area of the facility showing topographical and drainage features of the area during construction, installation, alteration or extension, and as they will be on completion of the work proposed;
  • A set of drawings and specifications of the construction, installation, alteration or extension proposed;
  • A description of the proposed methods and procedures of the operation of the facility;
  • A list of pollutants that may be stored or used in the facility;
  • A time frame for the proposed construction, installation alteration or extension;
  • A contingency plan for preventing and cleaning up of any spills of pollutants from the facility;
  • A description of the proposed:
    • Operating schedule; and
    • A proposed schedule setting out any planned discharge of pollutants to the environment, including the anticipated quantity and quality of those discharges.


Environment Business Services

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve