Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Dugout, Pipeline and Well


The Farm and Ranch Water Infrastructure Program (FRWIP) supports the development of secure and sustainable water sources for agriculture use.  All applicants must demonstrate an agricultural use for the water.

Rebate Details

Dugout, pipeline and well projects are eligible for a maximum rebate of 50 per cent of eligible costs. Eligible applicants can receive a rebate for more than one project, but cannot exceed a maximum of $75,000 for dugout, pipeline and new well development projects over the five-year program term of the Sustainable Canadian Agricultural Partnership (Sustainable CAP) from April 1, 2023, to March 31, 2028. The deadline for rebate applications is on or before March 31, 2028.

Projects must be fully constructed and operational for agricultural use before a rebate will be issued. No interim payments will be made. Program payments are subject to a minimum rebate of $250. The minimum claim amount is $500.

Applicant Eligibility

  • Primary agricultural producers (individual, partnership, co-operative or corporation) who can demonstrate a minimum $50,000 of gross farm income in Saskatchewan in the year of application or the year prior to the application. Individual applicants must be at least 18 years of age; or
  • First Nation Bands in the Province of Saskatchewan; or
  • Crown Land Pasture Grazing Associations in Saskatchewan.

Our rebate programs allow flexibility for new entrants to become eligible if they are confident they will be able to provide proof of meeting the gross farm income threshold within the five-year term of Sustainable CAP. Complete the below New Entrant Self-Assessment for details:

New Entrant Self-Assessment:

  1. Did you earn less than $50,000 in gross farm income in the year of or the year prior to the application?
  2. Have you recently (roughly within the last five years) made a significant purchase of land, livestock, or other investment for the purpose of farming, which will allow you to generate $50,000 in gross farm income by March of 2028?
  3. Have you operated a farm or ranch and earned farm income for five years or less, either as a sole operator or with other related entities who have operated a farm or ranch for five years or less?

If you answered yes to all of these questions, please contact the Agriculture Knowledge Centre at 1-866-457-2377 and ask to be connected with an agriculture programs specialist to discuss whether or not you are eligible as a new entrant.

First Nation producers may have distinct characteristics reflecting regulatory, operational, cultural and other factors. Our programs are designed to allow for flexibility to reduce barriers and ensure accessibility. If you are interested in applying for programs and have questions about the application process or eligibility criteria, please contact one of our Building and Strengthening Indigenous Supports (BASIS) specialists or contact the Agriculture Knowledge Centre at 1-866-457-2377 and ask to be connected with one of our BASIS team members.

Eligibility Criteria/Other Parameters

  • Expenses incurred after October 1, 2022, will be eligible.
  • Applicant must adequately demonstrate an agricultural use for the water source development. Agricultural use is defined as crop spraying, livestock watering (results in taxable income from livestock sales), intensive horticulture production (greenhouse, orchard or market garden) where sales/taxable income can be verified and irrigation provided the water use is licensed and approved by Water Security Agency (WSA) and Crops and Irrigation Branch.
  • Producers who own, lease or rent property where livestock and poultry are grown, bred, kept, raised, displayed, assembled or disposed of, require a Saskatchewan Premises Identification (PID) number.
  • Persons related to an eligible applicant will be subject to the program’s maximum funding cap for that eligible applicant. Related applicants include:
    • The maximum amount that may be paid to an eligible applicant, including persons related to an eligible applicant, may not exceed the maximum funding cap per applicant/related entity over the life of the program.
    • “Related applicants” include but are not limited to spouses, business partners, relatives living in the same residence, individuals/entities which have controlling interests in more than one operation and operations that are not legally, financially or operationally sufficiently independent of other entities.
    • In determining whether a person/entity is a related applicant, the ministry may consider the following factors:
      • whether the person/entity is engaged in a common enterprise with the applicant as a corporate affiliate or subsidiary, partner, member of a joint venture, trustee of a trust or estate in which the eligible applicant has a substantial beneficial interest or any other relationship which evidences an intention to share the profits or risk of loss of the operation with the eligible applicant;
      • whether the person/entity makes operational decisions in respect of the operation or makes those decisions jointly or in common with the eligible applicant;
      • whether the person is responsible to ensure that day-to-day operations are completed respecting the operation;
      • whether the person/entity and the applicant have access to common assets such as land, machinery, processing equipment, crop storage or animal handling facilities used in the operation;
      • whether the person/entity files separate income and expense statements for income tax purposes;
      • whether the person/entity maintains separate farm or business accounting records;
      • whether the person maintains a separate bank, credit union or trust company account;
      • whether the person has a separate Goods and Services Tax number;
      • whether the person/entity has any other financial interest in the operation; and
      • any other matter that the ministry believes is relevant to the legal, financial or operational independence of the operation.
    • For more information about related entities please send an email to or contact the Agriculture Knowledge Centre at 1-866-457-2377.

Before You Apply

Applicants must meet all regulatory requirements for water development projects, many of which are required prior to commencing work. If all required approvals are not obtained the project may be ineligible for funding.

Approvals may include:

  • Written authorization from the landowner is required if a project is constructed on land not owned by the applicant. For projects on Crown land, contact your local Ministry of Agriculture lands branch representative.
  • If you are planning to develop a dugout in or near a waterbody of local significance or importance, please contact an agriculture programs specialist for guidance as an Aquatic Habitat Protection Permit (AHPP) from WSA may be required prior to commencing the project.
  • Saskatchewan Water Security Agency Groundwater and/or Surface Water Approval. A Water Rights Licence and Approval to Construct and Operate Works from WSA is required for:
    • Water development projects where annual usage exceeds 5,000 m3 (1.1 million gallons).
    • A Water Rights Licence from WSA is required for any project developed by an applicant that does not qualify for the domestic use exemption (i.e., Hutterite Colonies and Crown Land Pasture Associations).
    • Pipeline projects where the point of diversion (water source) or point of use (water distribution) is not on land owned or controlled by the applicant.
  • If a pipeline will cross either a developed or undeveloped road allowance, approval from the rural municipality is required.
  • Any other standards or approvals as required by law.

It is the responsibility of the producer to determine if a project is located in an environmentally sensitive area. Failure to obtain approvals will result in projects being ineligible for funding. The online mapping tool is available to assist producers in recognizing if their project(s) is/are located in these areas. For environmentally sensitive land, authorization and consent is required when the project is located on land, or is crossing land, with the following designations:

  • Any Crown lease lands designated under The Wildlife Habitat Protection Act (WHPA) require project approval prior to commencing work. Please contact your local Ministry of Agriculture lands branch representative for more information.
  • Any private lands with a Crown Conservation Easement (CCE) registered on title require project approval prior to commencing work. Please contact the Ministry of Environment at 1-800-567-4224 for more information.
  • Any private or Crown lands federally designated as critical habitat under the Species at Risk Act for a federally listed species at risk require project approval prior to commencing work. Failure to obtain approval will result in project being ineligible for funding. To determine if your project is on critical habitat land, please call the Agriculture Knowledge Centre, toll free at 1-866-457-2377.

Eligible Expenses


Eligible activities may include:

  • Engineering or consulting costs, including test holes or materials analysis.
  • Construction/excavation of new dugouts. There is no minimum size for a new dugout.
  • Expansion of existing dugouts (must increase size by at least one-third of the original).
  • A new dugout or dugout expansion may also include installation of a wet well, which will include funding for casing and gravel.
  • Supporting Infrastructure – see the Supporting Infrastructure section.

Other considerations for dugouts include:

  • If you are planning to develop a dugout in or near a waterbody of local significance or importance, please contact an agriculture programs specialist for guidance as an Aquatic Habitat Protection Permit (AHPP) from WSA may be required prior to commencing the project.
  • Dugouts should be located upstream from any outdoor livestock facilities or there must be control works to prevent manure runoff from entering the dugout.
  • Dugouts or dugout expansion completed in-kind with applicant-owned heavy equipment and/or rented equipment will receive a maximum eligible cost of $2/cubic yard (i.e., rebated $1/cubic yard).
  • Dugouts constructed for irrigation purposes must be licensed and approved by WSA and Crops and Irrigation Branch.


Unshared water pipeline development (deep or shallow buried) to extend existing permanent water sources via a buried pipeline to another location on the property or across a property boundary to another property farmed by the applicant. For development of a new water source, refer to the dugout and well sections of this web page.

Eligible activities may include:

  • Engineering or consulting costs to design the pipeline.
  • Construction or excavation of a shallow or deep buried pipeline. Eligible items include:
    • Pipe; and
    • Trenching or directional boring.
  • Supporting infrastructure – see the Supporting Infrastructure section.

Other considerations for pipelines include:

  • There is no minimum or maximum distance for a pipeline project.
  • Pipelines developed for field scale irrigation development are not eligible under FRWIP. Applicants should refer to Irrigation Development Program for funding.
  • Connection to a rural water utility or multi-user pipeline is not a pipeline project and is not eligible for rebate. See the pre-approval stream for multi-user connections.


Wells such as small diameter drilled wells, large diameter bored wells, or excavated/constructed wells (i.e., seepage or wet wells).

Eligible activities may include:

  • Engineering or consulting costs including groundwater exploration/test holes. The expenses for test holes may be claimed even if the well project does not proceed.
  • Well drilling, boring or construction.
  • Screening and casing for wells.
  • Gravel for large diameter wells.
  • Trenching and pipe from well to pressure system and to the water distribution point (i.e., to water bowl, storage tank, watering appliance or a pipeline).
  • Supporting infrastructure – see the Supporting Infrastructure section.

Other considerations for wells include:

  • Wells developed for crop spraying agricultural use will be eligible only when located on the home quarter legally registered to the applicant and/or has existing farmyard infrastructure (bins, shops, quonsets, etc.). Payment for infrastructure on a new yard site where the agricultural use is crop spraying will not be funded until the well, hydrant and water storage infrastructure is complete and ready for use. Wells developed for household use are not eligible.
  • For wells developed on new yard sites livestock watering, fencing and water infrastructure must be completed and functional for livestock watering before funding will be issued.
  • Wells should be located at least 30 metres away from livestock confinement or handling facilities. If the well is located less than 30 metres away from livestock confinement or handling facilities, additional mitigation measures must be demonstrated to avoid water contamination. New wells developed inside a livestock confinement pen or corral will not be eligible for funding.
  • Wells drilled or bored in Saskatchewan must be completed by well drillers registered annually in Saskatchewan with the WSA.
  • Driller’s reports are required for wells and test holes completed by well drillers in Saskatchewan. Applicants should submit a copy of the driller’s report with their FRWIP rebate application. If a Water Rights Licence is required by WSA, and if the well is self-constructed or constructed with a track hoe, a construction report must be completed and submitted to WSA.
  • Original e‐logs for small diameter wells must be filed with WSA.
  • Wells constructed for irrigation purposes, over 10 acres, must be licensed and approved by WSA and Crops and Irrigation Branch.

Supporting Infrastructure and Eligible Costs

The following items are eligible when claimed for a rebate in conjunction with a new water development project (well, dugout or pipeline project):

  • Pumps, pipeline and miscellaneous plumbing materials including:
    • Pump (electric, solar, wind);
    • Pump controller;
    • Pipe;
    • Floating intake (dugouts);
    • Pressure system; and
    • Pitless adapter, fittings and connectors.
  • Permanently installed water storage tanks (minimum 1,000 US gallons) to a maximum rebate of $5,000 per eligible project.
    • Storage tanks associated with new dugouts must include a livestock watering system for distribution.
    • Cisterns and costs to bury/install for water storage is eligible for livestock watering only.
    • Troughs over 1,000 gallons can be considered storage and will not count towards the watering appliance maximum rebate cap.
    • Installation and third-party freight (not included in the maximum rebate).
  • Permanent fencing to exclude livestock from a new water source (dugout, well) to a maximum rebate of $750 per eligible project.
    • Posts, wire, labour, equipment. Must have invoices for materials.
  • Watering appliance:
    • Watering bowl and pad, nose pumps, hydrant or water trough. Water troughs must have a capacity of at least 100 gallons.
    • Maximum rebate of $2,500 per eligible applicant over the life of Sustainable CAP.
    • Installation and third-party freight (not include in the maximum rebate).
  • Power infrastructure – the combined maximum rebate funding for eligible power infrastructure and hook-up under FRWIP, including SaskPower service installation and/or purchases of solar/wind/composite livestock watering systems is $20,000 over the term of Sustainable CAP.
    • Solar/wind/composite livestock watering systems including water storage and/or distribution system used to provide a water source for livestock. Applicants may purchase an all-in-one system or purchase components separately from different vendors.
    • Water monitoring equipment is eligible if part of a power infrastructure purchase.
    • Third-party freight (not included in the maximum rebate).
  • In-kind labour is funded at $22 per hour to a maximum rebate of $250 per project. There is no allocation for supervising projects. In-kind labour cannot be claimed if the same work has been invoiced by a contractor.
  • In-kind machinery/equipment. Use rates established in the Farm Machinery Custom Rate and Rental Guide for class of machinery used.
  • Fees for Water Rights Licensing and Approval to Construct and Operate from Water Security Agency.
*Note: If a project has been previously approved, considered complete and funded (April 1, 2023 and March 31, 2028), the program has flexibility to accept a subsequent request for funding from the applicant for supporting infrastructure such as a solar/wind/composite water system and/or fencing of a water source, or adding water storage to a project. As long as these expenses would have been eligible if previously claimed, they can be added to the project and processed for funding.

Ineligible Activities or Expenses

Ineligible activities or expenses include:

  • Projects (and any expenditures) commencing prior to October 1, 2022.
  • Invoices not issued in the applicant's name.
  • Connections to potable water utilities.
  • Water resources developed solely for household use, washing and toilet facilities or washing machinery.
  • Generators.
  • All-in-one solar powered water pumping systems for livestock as a standalone item. Eligible systems must be purchased in conjunction with or to be claimed with a new water development project completed under the Sustainable CAP.
  • Gas/diesel powered water pumps or distribution pumps.
  • Distribution hoses from the water storage tank (crop spraying).
  • Water quality enhancement systems (e.g., aeration systems, filtration systems, chlorinators, reverse osmosis, etc.).
  • Water meters (for rural water connections).
  • Water storage tanks with a volume under 1,000 US gallons.
  • Water storage tanks not permanently connected to the project infrastructure (i.e., hauling water for livestock watering or crop spraying). For the purposes of the program, permanent refers to a stationary location, plumbed to the infrastructure and remaining in one location for the duration of a season.
  • Gravel as a base for a storage tank or trough.
  • Landscaping or removal/hauling dugout spoil piles including separating topsoil from clay.
  • Hauling or pumping water to fill/empty dugouts.
  • Above ground pipelines and dams.
  • In‐kind (applicant claimed) freight/mileage to and from project site.
  • In‐kind (applicant owned) materials such as rocks, sand, gravel or clay.
  • In-kind payment (e.g., trading) for third party services/supplies.
  • Used, leased or fabricated materials and infrastructure, including equipment purchased at auction. To be eligible, new items and infrastructure must be purchased from a recognized dealer. For the purposes of the program, a recognized dealer is typically defined as a business where manufacturing is a key service or the business is an authorized dealer for a certain item(s).
  • Materials from inventory or items where previous use cannot be determined (e.g., water troughs, water storage tanks, solar systems, solar panels, etc.).
  • Materials and construction costs for pump houses, or underground culverts to house a pressure system.
  • Removal and disposal of above ground structures.
  • Basic repair and maintenance, ongoing expenses, or replacement of existing infrastructure such as small dams, water appliances, storage tanks, water troughs or solar watering equipment.
  • Seismic testing/water witching.
  • Extended warranty or insurance costs.
  • Development of sandpoint wells.
  • Non-permanent fencing (e.g., corral panels, bale feeders, etc.).
  • Electric fencers/energizers.
  • Fencing to keep cattle out of a water source that is not part of a qualifying water project.
  • Purchase of land/property or payment of easements.
  • Taxes, financing fees, interest charges or legal fees.
  • Fees paid to third parties for application support.
  • Applicant/employee administration costs.
  • Any submissions for rebate using a third-party contractor must be from a contractor who is third-party arm’s length, or the submission will be considered in kind labour and original invoices for all materials will be required.
  • Costs claimed for expenses/activities that may receive funding under other Sustainable CAP programs, or any other government grant, rebate or assistance program.


Review the FRWIP details including eligibility and the most common regulatory compliance items that may apply to your project.

Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis. Applicants are encouraged to submit rebate claims as soon as the project is fully constructed and operational for agricultural use. All invoices must be paid in full before applying for the rebate. Proof of payment may be requested in the form of bank/credit card statements or processed cheque images from your financial institution. No interim payments will be made. Please submit copies of invoices as originals will not be returned.

Projects must be completed and applications for rebate submitted by March 31, 2028.

Download the Farm and Ranch Water Infrastructure Program Rebate Application Form

Note: It is recommended this application form is saved to your computer before entering your information.

Completed application packages can be submitted by email to or mail to:
Farm and Ranch Water Infrastructure Program
Ministry of Agriculture, Programs Branch
329 – 3085 Albert Street
Regina SK  S4S 0B1

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve