Asbestos is a naturally occurring fibrous material which was regularly used in buildings from the 1950s until the late 1990s. If products containing asbestos are disturbed, the tiny fibres are released into the air. When they are breathed in, they can become trapped in the lungs and stay there for many years. Over time these fibres can accumulate and lead to serious health problems.
Owners, employers, employees and contractors should understand the risks of asbestos as well as know how to identify and handle asbestos-containing materials. There are some cases where working with asbestos is a high-risk process and the Occupational Health and Safety Division must be notified 14 days before starting the process.
The Asbestos Registry of Public Buildings lists buildings in Saskatchewan that contain asbestos as per The Public Health Act, 1994, which requires the Provincial Government, Crown Corporations, health regions and all facilities uses as public schools to provide and post information about the presence of asbestos in those buildings.