Participants must follow these requirements and responsibilities:
- Select a representative on behalf of the group.
- Follow the guidelines, safety requirements, minimum age requirements, and other terms and conditions established by the ministry.
- Pick up litter a minimum of once a year. The permit holder may choose to pick as often as necessary to maintain a clean right-of-way.
- Notify the ministry prior to starting each cleanup and upon completion of the clean-up.
Each district administers the Adopt-A-Highway Program and will ensure the permit holder understands the program. There may be cases where the application will be turned down such as:
- Cleanup work has already begun by others.
- The area does not meet the definition of an acceptable section.
- The area would create a safety hazard to program participants or the public.
- Adoption of the section creates a condition that is counter-productive to program.