Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan`s web site have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow text box that resembles the link below and can be found in the right hand rail of the page. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found here:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

The results of software-based translation do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos, and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Interpersonal Violence and Abuse Programs

Violence is when there is an unlawful exercise of physical force that may result in criminal charges or physical and/or sexual abuse. 

Abuse is when someone in a caring relationship does or says things to gain control over another person by hurting that person or causing feelings such as fear, anxiety, nervousness, guilt, helplessness or worthlessness.

Interpersonal violence and abuse refers to violence and abuse that occurs between people who know each other. It can occur within or outside a family setting.

Women, men and children can all be victims of interpersonal violence and abuse. Older family members can be abused by their adult children and other caretakers. Interpersonal violence and abuse may take many different forms and include physical abuse, mental and emotional abuse, sexual abuse, intimidation, financial abuse and threat.

Abusive behaviour is rooted in the desire for someone to gain control over another to the advantage of the individual who is gaining control. An abuser may not need to hit or physically harm an individual to gain control over them. Emotional and verbal abuse can have the same impact as physical violence.


1. Transition Houses

The following women's shelters are funded to provide emergency accommodation and support for women and their children:
  • Regina Transition House - (306) 569-2292
  • Isabel Johnson Shelter, Regina - (306) 525-2141 extension 119
  • Wichihik Iskwewak Safe House (WISH), Regina - (306) 543-0493
  • Moose Jaw Transition House - (306) 693-6511
  • Southwest Safe Shelter, Swift Current - (306) 778-3692
  • Saskatoon Interval House - (306) 244-0185
  • Shelwin House, Yorkton - (306) 783-7233
  • Prince Albert Safe Shelter for Women Inc. - (306) 764-7233
  • Piwapan Women's Centre, La Ronge - (306) 425-3900
  • Battlefords Interval House - (306) 445-2742
  • Lloydminster Interval Home – (306) 875 -0966
  • North East Women's Shelter, Melfort - (306) 752-9455

For further information, you may also contact:

Provincial Association of Transition Houses and Services of Saskatchewan, Inc. (PATHS)
2505 11th Avenue, Suite 308
Regina, SK S4P 0K6
Phone: 306-522-3515


2. Sexual Assault Services

Sexual assault services may include a 24-hour crisis telephone line, direct support and counseling for victims of sexual assault. The following community-based organizations receive funding to provide a range of sexual assault services. Some organizations provide sexual assault services as one component of a broader service:

Battlefords and Area Sexual Assault Centre Inc.
1211 98th Street
North Battleford, SK S9A 0L8
(306) 445-0055
24-hour support line: (306) 446-4444 

Envision Counselling and Support Centre Inc.
Box 511
Estevan, SK S4A 2A5
(306) 637-4004
24-hr abuse/sexual assault line: 1-800-214-7083
Weyburn, SK
(306) 842-8821

Lloydminster Sexual Assault and Information Centre Inc.
5011 - 49th Ave
Lloydminster, SK S9V 1R2
(306) 825-8255
24-hour support line: (306) 825-8255

North East Outreach and Support Services Inc.
128 McKendry Ave West
Melfort, SK S0E 1A0
(306) 752-9464
24-hour support line: (306) 752-9455; 1-800-611-6349

The Prince Albert Mobile Crisis Unit Cooperative Ltd.
Unit C 4050 2nd Avenue West
Prince Albert, SK S6V 0X5
(306) 764-1039
24-hour support line: (306) 764-1011

Regina Sexual Assault Centre Inc.
1830 Mackay Street
Regina, SK S4N 6R4
(306) 522-2777
24-hour support line: (306) 352-0434

South West Crisis Services Inc.
Box 1102
Swift Current, SK S9H 3X3
(306) 778-3386
24-hour support line: (306) 778-3833 ; 1-800-567-3334

Saskatoon Sexual Assault & Information Centre Inc.
201 - 506 25th Street East
Saskatoon, SK S7K 4A7
(306) 244-2294
24-hour support line: (306) 244-2224

West Central Crisis and Family Support Centre Inc.
Box 2235
Kindersley, SK S0L 1S0
(306) 463-6655
24-hour support line

24-hour support line: 1-800-933-6200

Society for the Involvement of Good Neighbors Inc. (SIGN)
Sexual Assault Counseling Program
83 North Street
Yorkton, SK S3N 0G9
(306) 783-9428

For further information, you may also contact:

Sexual Assault Services of Saskatchewan Inc.

103 - 1102 8th Avenue

Regina, Saskatchewan S4R 1C9

(306) 757-1941


3. Family Violence Outreach

Outreach services funded through the Ministry of Justice assist women who may not use a shelter or need help in accessing a shelter or other services. Services may include support to women, children and families in violent or potentially violent circumstances, education on abuse and information about services available in the community.
The following community-based organizations receive funding to provide family violence outreach services.   

Family Service Regina Inc.
200-1440 Broadway Ave.
Regina, SK S4P 1T7

The Moose Jaw Women's Transition Association Inc. 
P.O. Box 1866
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan S6H 7N6

Envision Counselling and Support Centre Inc.
Box 511
Estevan, SK S4A 2A5
Toll free 24 hour abuse/sexual assault line: 1-800-214-7083
Weyburn, SK

Yorkton Women in Need Inc.
P.O. Box 1828
Yorkton, Saskatchewan S3N 3R3

Family Service Saskatoon Inc.
102, 506 - 25 Street East
Saskatoon, SK S7K 4A7

West Central Crisis and Family Support Centre Inc.
Box 2235
Kindersley, SK S0L 1S0

La Ronge Native Women's Council Inc. 
P.O. Box 888
La Ronge, Saskatchewan S0J 1L0

North East Crisis Outreach & Support Services Inc. 
P.O. Box 2066
Melfort, Saskatchewan S0E 1A0 

Hudson Bay and Family Support Centre Inc.
P.O. Box 403
Hudson Bay, Saskatchewan S0E 0Y0

Catholic Family Services of the Battlefords Inc. 
101 -1272 101st Street 
North Battleford, SK S9A 0Z8 

North West Friendship Centre Inc.
P.O. Box 1780
Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan S9X 1Z2

PARTNERS Family Services Inc.
P.O. Box 2741
Humboldt, Saskatchewan S0K 2A0

TFHQ Safe Shelter Inc
Qu'Appelle Haven of Hope
Box 457
Fort Qu'Appelle, SK S0G 1S0

For further information, you may also contact:

Saskatchewan Towards Offering Partnership Solutions to Violence Inc.     
103 - 1102 8th Ave
Regina, SK S4R 1C9


4. Laws to Help Victims of Violence and Abuse

The Victims of Interpersonal Violence Act (formerly known as The Victims of Domestic Violence Act)

Saskatchewan Child Abuse Protocol 2014


5. How to End a Fixed Term Tenancy Agreement

A tenant in a fixed-term tenancy agreement may end the agreement early if:

  • the tenant, the tenant’s child, or an adult under the care of the tenant is a victim of interpersonal violence; and 
  • has received a certificate from an official of the Victims Services Branch that the tenant, child or adult is at risk of interpersonal violence from a cohabitant if the tenancy continues.  

The tenant must apply to the Victims Services Branch by providing either:

• A Court Order Submission Form and a copy of a court order or bond that is in place to prevent a cohabitant of the tenant from contacting or communicating with the tenant, the tenant’s child, or the adult under the care of the tenant; or

• A Professional Person Statement indicating that the child or the adult under the care of the tenant has been the subject of interpersonal violence.  This form could be completed by a Social Worker, Psychologist, duly qualified medical practitioner, registered nurse, registered psychiatric nurse, member of the RCMP or a police service, or an employee of an emergency transitional shelter or an agency that provides support for victims of interpersonal violence.

If satisfied that there is risk if the tenancy continues, the Victims Services Branch will provide the tenant with a Certificate Confirming Safety Risk.  The tenant will then be able to provide to the landlord a Notice to Landlord to Terminate a Fixed Term Tenancy for Interpersonal Violence.

For further information or assistance in completing these documents, please contact Victims Services at 1-888-286-6664 (toll-free) between the hours of 8:00 – 12:00 and 1:00 – 5:00, Monday to Friday (except statutory holidays).

Completed documents can be emailed to    

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve