The Safe Driver Recognition Program is a Saskatchewan Government Insurance (SGI) initiative that encourages safe driving. Safer drivers have a higher safety rating and earn discounts on their insurance premiums, while higher risk drivers have a lower safety rating and pay more. You can find details about the program on SGI's website.
Drivers who have had an at-fault accident will receive a penalty on their safety rating. If a driver believes that there are reasons their insurance rating should not be affected, they can make an appeal to the Highway Traffic Board (HTB) to have their safety rating re-adjusted. This appeal only applies to the driver's safety rating; the liability for the accident itself cannot be appealed to HTB. Appeals for liability must be pursued through the courts.
During an appeal, the onus of proof is on the driver to justify why the at-fault accident should not affect their safety rating. The HTB must be satisfied that there were unusual or out of the ordinary circumstances that would make it unfair to penalize their safety rating.
How to File an Appeal:
- You must take action within 90 days of receiving your Safety Rating Change Notice from SGI.
- Visit a motor licence issuer to buy an appeal receipt for $100. The motor licence issuer will refer your appeal to the HTB.
- After two business days have passed, call the HTB at 1-855-775-8336 to schedule a hearing.
- Provide the HTB with supporting documents at least two business days before your hearing date. Supporting documents include such items as diagrams, photographs, weather reports, garage invoices, witness statements, police reports, court documents, and more.
- If you choose not to proceed with your appeal, contact SGI at 1-800-667-8015.
What to Expect at the Hearing:
- Your hearing will take place during the day, by phone, and last about 15-20 minutes.
- The people involved in the conversation are you, two board members, and a hearing coordinator who takes notes and notifies you of the decision.
- Following your hearing, members of the HTB will either maintain or reverse SGI's safety rating penalty.
- You will be notified about the decision shortly after your hearing.
- If your appeal is successful, SGI will adjust your safety rating and refund any financial penalty, when applicable.
- The decision is final and cannot be appealed.
- To request a written copy of your decision, email or fax our office.