Do you have or are you working towards a Journeyperson Certificate? Do you like to repair and modify vehicles and equipment? Are you passionate about highway safety?
Working with us as a heavy duty mechanic might be for you.
Our heavy duty mechanics are responsible for the maintenance, repairs and modifications of our heavy-duty equipment and light vehicles used in highway maintenance and construction. In some locations, heavy duty mechanics build equipment such as snowplows. Our mechanics are required to travel with the possibility of overnight stays.
The primary duties of a heavy duty mechanic include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct preventative maintenance inspections of trucks and equipment – in the shop and field.
- Diagnose equipment problems using mechanical, electrical and computerized testing equipment.
- Determine method of repair, cost and time associated with repairs.
- Repair equipment including mechanical, fuel, electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic systems by replacing, fabricating or revising components.
- Perform equipment maintenance such as fluid and filter changes; replace brakes, exhaust systems, hydraulic hoses, etc.
- Develop or modify new and existing equipment or systems.
- Enter and retrieve data on a computer.
- Must possess a valid Journeyperson Certificate recognized by the Province of Saskatchewan.
- Must possess a valid Class 3A operator’s licence or be willing to upgrade to a 3A licence during the probationary period.
Note: We are willing to consider Level 4 apprentices.
What’s in it for you?
- Challenging, dynamic and rewarding career
- Unique, diverse and professional team
- Serving the citizens of the province
- Opportunity to work with new and advanced technology and equipment
- Employer-paid health and dental benefits
- Government pension
- Opportunities for training and leadership development
If you feel this position is for you, check out the Career Centre and explore our available positions regularly. Choose Ministry of Highways in the advanced search to find our job opportunities.