Cognitive Disability Strategy (CDS) Support
The Cognitive Disability Strategy (CDS) is meant to provide services to address the unmet needs of people with cognitive disabilities and their families.
Eligible applicants may access the services of:
- Cognitive Disability Consultants – people who are available to support families with the development of appropriate behavioural support plans; and
- Cognitive Disability Benefit – an income-tested financial benefit that individuals and/or families can access to address an identified unmet need. Benefit levels are determined based on financial need and assessed level of disability impact.
Eligible individuals must have a cognitive disability and an unmet need related to the cognitive disability that can be addressed by an evidence-based intervention and cannot be supported by another system.
The cognitive disability results in limitations and impairments that are present from an early age and long term (except in the case of an Acquired Brain Injury).
3. How to apply
There are three ways to apply for Cognitive Disability Strategy Support:
- Complete the application form and send to the Cognitive Disability Consultant.
- Ask someone (currently working with the individual) to help them complete the application form (e.g. their case worker).
- If unable to complete the application form themselves, and they do not have a case worker, the Cognitive Disability Consultant can provide assistance.