Saskatchewan's International Education Strategy
Saskatchewan's International Education Strategy lays the foundation for a global approach to position the province as a destination of choice for international students from around the world and provides opportunities for Saskatchewan students to study in other countries.
|International students:||Students who study abroad:|
The International Education Strategy was developed in partnership with the post-secondary education sector and will assist institutions to attract international students in innovative ways, while meeting commitments outlined in Saskatchewan's Growth Plan by:
- positioning Saskatchewan as a destination of choice for international students;
- solidifying trade relationships in key markets;
- providing opportunities for Saskatchewan students to study abroad in key markets; and
- working with Saskatchewan's post-secondary partners to build international opportunities to advance and commercialize research in areas where Saskatchewan institutions are global leaders.
Key components of the strategy include:
- participating in international missions to support recruitment and branding efforts;
- fostering new international partnerships to promote education and research opportunities in both Saskatchewan and abroad;
- developing a new International Education Practitioner Program to support a provincial approach on training throughout the sector that will provide students with a consistent experience; and
- supporting the growth and sustainability of French post-secondary programs in Saskatchewan through targeted recruitment in key French language markets.
The strategy, which is built on a foundation of collaboration and engagement, is based on two pillars: Global Engagement, and Capacity Building and Leadership. Under both pillars, the Government of Saskatchewan has identified goals, actions and outcomes, as well as targeted programs that will be developed to support the goals.
1. Global Engagement
Global engagement and strong trade relations are imperative for Saskatchewan to lead and compete internationally. International students bring a global perspective to Saskatchewan and create opportunities for research and innovation.
In collaboration with the international trade offices, the post-secondary sector and government partners, Saskatchewan is building relationships in multiple countries to help strengthen the province's brand, while increasing trade and investment opportunities.
Saskatchewan will increase its global and market engagement by:
- developing strategic partnerships;
- increasing the profile of international education;
- working with the federal government on issues related to international education; and
- enhancing inter-ministry relationships and global engagement opportunities.
Goal: Increase Saskatchewan's global competitiveness in the education sector
International research partnerships profile Saskatchewan's research excellence globally, which attracts students, researchers and new investments. Fostering new international partnerships will play a critical role in education and research opportunities in both Saskatchewan and abroad. Learn about Saskatchewan's International Research Partnerships Framework.
2. Capacity Building and Leadership
Growing knowledge in the sector will increase international recruitment and engagement opportunities, positioning Saskatchewan as a destination of choice for students. Through collaboration with the sector and other partners, Saskatchewan is building capacity to engage internationally and improve global connection to the provincial education sector.
Saskatchewan will build capacity and leadership in international education by:
- delivering a provincial approach to international training to the education sector, ensuring students receive the same level of support;
- building intercultural expertise and capacity;
- expanding opportunities for Saskatchewan students and educators to participate in study and work abroad experiences;
- creating smoother transitions for international students to work and live in Saskatchewan;
- supporting the growth and sustainability of French post-secondary programs through targeted recruitment in key French language markets; and
- establishing a coordinated marketing strategy to increase international awareness of Saskatchewan as a high quality destination of choice.
Goal: Increase Saskatchewan's global and market engagement
Research partnerships play a critical role in innovation, growth and knowledge transfer. The International Education Strategy focuses on sustainable development goals for research, innovation and global project development. Learn about Saskatchewan's International Research Partnership Framework.