Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Marriage Licences

In Saskatchewan, couples who want to marry must purchase a Saskatchewan marriage licence.

A marriage licence is only valid for a period of three months, or 90 days. The marriage licence becomes effective the day after it is purchased. Therefore, the marriage licence can be purchased anywhere from one day to 90 days prior to the wedding ceremony.

The fee to purchase a marriage licence is $60.


1. Requirements and Restrictions

Who can perform marriages?

Clergy and marriage commissioners who are registered in Saskatchewan according to The Marriage Act, 1995 can perform marriages.


Two pieces of government issued identification must be presented to the marriage licence issuer. Of the two pieces of government issued identification, one must be photo identification.

Examples of acceptable identification include a birth certificate, passport, driver's licence, citizenship or permanent resident card or treaty card.

Statutory Declaration

The statutory declaration is a series of questions and information, located on the back of the marriage licence.

When applying for the marriage licence, the prospective spouses must complete and sign the statutory declaration in the presence of the marriage licence issuer. The statutory declaration must be read to the parties to prove that they fully understand the content. This includes reading the "Degrees of Consanguinity" which may bar the solemnization of the marriage.

Degrees of Consanguinity

Degrees of consanguinity refer to the relationship between the prospective spouses.

An individual may not marry his or her:

  • Grandmother
  • Grandfather
  • Father
  • Mother
  • Son
  • Daughter
  • Granddaughter
  • Grandson
  • Brother
  • Sister

The relationships above include all relationships, whether by whole or half-blood, or adoption.

Blood Tests and Medical Examinations

Blood tests or medical examinations are not required.

Can same sex couples be married in Saskatchewan?

Yes. Same sex marriages are permitted in Saskatchewan.

Getting married outside of Saskatchewan

Contact the province or country where you want to get married for information about their marriage laws.


2. Minors

The age of majority is 18 years in Saskatchewan. There are certain restrictions that apply to minors.

Persons 16 or 17 Years of Age

A Saskatchewan "Consent to Marriage of a Minor" form must be signed and completed by the parent(s) or guardian(s). They must sign the consent form in the presence of a Saskatchewan marriage licence issuer, clergy or any person authorized to take affidavits.

Consent forms can be obtained from a Saskatchewan marriage licence issuer.

If the parent(s) or guardian(s) refuse to consent to the marriage, the minor can apply to a judge of either the provincial or King's Bench court for an order dispensing with their consent. The minor may obtain the judge's order by applying to a court house in Saskatchewan.

Persons Under 16 Years of Age

Under the federal Civil Marriage Act, no one under the age of 16 can get married.


3. Previously Married Persons


If either of the prospective spouses is divorced, evidence of the termination of the marriage must be presented to the marriage licence issuer when purchasing the marriage licence. The following documents are acceptable as proof of the dissolution of marriage:

  • The original or a court certified copy of the "Decree Absolute" of Divorce; or
  • The original or court certified copy of the "Certificate of Divorce."

The preliminary document (Judgment, Order or Decree Nisi) are not accepted as proof of divorce in Saskatchewan.

The correct divorce documents can be obtained from the court in the province or state in which the marriage was dissolved.

All divorce documents must be translated into English by an independent translator. The translator must include his or her name, complete address and telephone number.

Certificates of Divorce

A certified copy of a certificate of divorce may be obtained by writing to, or attending in person at, the court house where the divorce was granted. To locate the file, the court staff need the names of the parties, the court file number and the approximate year of commencement of the divorce proceedings. If you do not know the court file number (which is located at the top of every court document), you will have to pay a search fee.

The fees are:

  • $10 for the certified copy;
  • $10 search fee, if the search only covers a five-year period. $20 if the search is for a longer period or if the request is made to the wrong judicial centre; and
  • $0.50 per page photocopying fee.

All fees must accompany your request. Make your cheque payable to the Local Registrar. You may visit the Order a Certificate of Divorce page for more information.

If you do not know in which court house the divorce was granted, you may call the Central Divorce Registry in Ottawa. The staff there will be able to find the information needed. Their contact number is 613-957-4519.


If either of the prospective spouses was previously married and the former spouse is known to have died, no proof of death is required. The exact date and place of death of the former spouse must be known.

If the former spouse is presumed to have died, a declaration of presumption of death must be presented to the marriage licence issuer. The Court of King's Bench issues the declaration in Saskatchewan. This document must be attached to the marriage licence. The official performing the marriage ceremony must ensure all documents are signed and in order.


4. Where to Purchase a Marriage Licence in Saskatchewan

Saskatchewan marriage licences are purchased from marriage licence issuers. Jewellery stores or town administrators in Saskatchewan generally provide this service. See the list below for issuers in Saskatchewan.

Marriage licences purchased outside Saskatchewan are not valid for marriage in Saskatchewan. For example, couples purchasing an Alberta marriage licence must be married in Alberta.

  • Mom's Florist
  • De Moissac Jewellers


  • Village of Borden

Buena Vista

  • Tropical Escapes Destination Weddings and Travel Inc.
Black Lake First Nation
  • Ms. Coreen Sayazie
  • Carnduff Agencies Inc.
Central Butte
  • Galloways Pharmacy Ltd.
  • Town of Crighton
  • Golden Image Jewellery
  • Mr. Jeffery O'Brien 306-724-4610
  • Eastend Agencies 
  • A & A Jewellery
Fort Qu'Appelle
  • Beth Grainger's Florists
  • C.A. Shaw Insurance Broker
  • NorthStar Agencies
  • Flowers Etc. by Monique
  • Willows Wellsch Orr & Brundige LLP
Hudson Bay
  • Generations Flowers & Gifts
  • Diamonds of Detroit
  • Lund Agencies
  • Shortt Insurance Brokers Ltd.
  • Kelly Insurance Brokers Ltd.
  • Town of Kindersley
La Loche
  • La Loche Valu Master
  • Jadon Carnduff
  • Long Lake Insurance
  • Town of LaRonge
  • Beaton Agencies


  • Town of Leader
  • Western Financial Group
  • Elliot Insurance Services
Maple Creek
  • Abbott Realty
  • Blythman Agencies Ltd.
Meadow Lake
  • Jewelry Classique
  • Assaly Marks & Hopkins Fine Jewellers
  • Dynasty Jewellers
  • Carmen's Elegance In Flowers
Moose Jaw
  • Emerald Custom Creations
  • Judi's Specialties & Wedding World
  • Westland Insurance Group Ltd.
  • Western Financial Group
  • Green Teal Insurance Brokers Ltd.
North Battleford
  • Adora Diamonds Inc.
  • Town of Ogema
  • Oxbow Agencies Ltd.
Prince Albert
  • Craft Haven's Unique Wedding Boutique
  • Our Little Secret Boutique
  • Rutten Ranch
  • Amanda Walsh
  • Aurelia Goldsmith Bullion Broker
  • Madni Islamic Centre & Mosque
  • Notary Public Regina
  • Paper Umbrella
  • Quality Goldsmiths Ltd.
  • Saffan Kadiwal
  • Judy Johnston Insurance Services Inc.
Rose Valley
  • 611827 Saskatchewan Ltd.
St. Walburg
  • Prairie Insurance
  • Bateman Jewellers
  • Butler Byers Insurance (4th Avenue North)
  • Butler Byers Insurance (8th Street East)
  • Evergreen Notary Saskatoon
  • Express Process Serving
  • Forrest Travel
  • Galon Insurance & Mortgage Brokers
  • Leap Professional Driving School Ltd.
  • Riders Notary
  • RSVP Event Design, Decor & Rental
  • Saskatoon Signature Services
  • Victorian Diamond Events
  • YXE Notary
  • Audrey's Flower Oasis
  • Spiritwood Good Health Pharmacy
  • Town of Strasbourg (Administrator)
Swift Current
  • Cindy’s Taxes and More
  • Dana Dow Jewellers
  • Markwart Jewellers Ltd.
  • Found Treasures
  • Michael's Photography
  • MJH Marriage Licence Issuer
  • LD Woldringh Notary
  • Long Lake Insurance
  • Town of Wawota
  • York Jewellers Ltd.
  • Wilkie Agencies
  • Village of Windthorst
  • Jenn's Perfect Presents
  • Gifts of Gold
  • Sherring Gold Ltd.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve