Access to Information and Privacy Protection Online Training
The 'Access and Privacy in the Government of Saskatchewan' and the 'Access and Privacy Course for Local Authorities' are online training courses. They will give employees of government and local authorities a better understanding of the laws that apply to access to records and to protection of personal information and personal health information, along with steps to ensure better compliance with those laws. These laws are outlined under The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and The Local Authority Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
1. About the Training
Throughout these two courses, employees will learn about:
- How privacy is important to us all;
- The laws that apply to government;
- The obligations of government employees, along with simple steps we can all take to protect the records we handle; and
- The rights of individuals to access records in the Government of Saskatchewan.
Access and Privacy in the Government of Saskatchewan is designed for employees in ministries, boards, commissions and agencies of executive government.
The Access and Privacy Course for Saskatchewan Local Authorities is designed for all local authorities including:
- Rural and urban municipal governments;
- School boards;
- Post-secondary institutions;
- Regional health authorities; and
- Other organizations identified in legislation as being local authority.
2. Types of Training
Some basic information before you begin:
- The courses do not need to be completed all at once – they can be stopped and started as often as necessary to fit busy work schedules.
- The courses are divided into several modules, each representing a separate theme that can be completed one at a time, or the courses can be completed from start to finish in one sitting.
- There is a voice over introducing each lesson.
- The sound can also be turned on or off as desired by clicking the "OFF" or "PLAY" button on the top of each page.
- No information is missed if the user does not have speakers or a sound card.
- All voice is repeated in text form in the course.
Please check with your supervisor for any specific expectations in your work place.
Choose the training tool you wish to take below.
This training tool provides an overview of the access and privacy laws and principles that apply to government institutions in Saskatchewan under The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and The Health Information Protection Act. It provides an overview of the process that occurs when individuals seek to access government records and will assist employees working in ministries, agencies, boards, commissions and Crown corporations to understand their responsibilities regard the collection, use and disclosure of personal information and personal health information and how to safeguard that information.
In the Door, Out the Door: A Users Guide to Processing Access to Information Requests Pursuant to The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and The Local Authority Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
This course provides guidance on processing an access to information request from receiving the request to getting the finalized response to the applicant. The course provides links to additional tools and resources to help process access to information requests.
This course provides an overview of the access and privacy laws and principles that apply to local authorities in Saskatchewan under The Local Authority Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. It will be relevant to employees who work in local authorities such as rural and municipal governments, police services, school boards, post-secondary institutions, the Saskatchewan Health Authority and other organizations that are subject to the legislation.
3. Further Information
The information in these courses does not constitute legal advice. Please consult with your own legal counsel for legal advice related to either The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act or The Local Authority Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.