Released on June 30, 2020
Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park and Pike Lake Provincial Park are welcoming visitors back for a swim in time to celebrate Canada Day.
“Outdoor pools are a huge part of Cypress Hills and Pike Lake,” Parks, Culture and Sport Minister Gene Makowsky said. “We are excited to announce the re-opening of these two pools this summer, and have made some changes to the operating schedules so that we can accommodate as many visitors as possible.”
There are a variety of safety protocols that will be in place when visitors make their way to the outdoor pools. Each pool may have slightly different guidelines to follow and signage will indicate changes to be aware of.
In general, visitors can expect the following:
- Capacity in the pools will be significantly reduced. To ensure fair access, the facilities will implement a turnover system that will require all pool users to leave after a set block of time to allow for cleaning and disinfecting. Users can choose to leave, or re-enter the line-up to be admitted once again (re-payment will not be required).
- There will be no swimming lessons or programming, including lane swimming and special events, which will allow for longer public swim times.
- Physical distancing rules will be in effect at all times. Floor indicators will guide visitors on where to stand while in line and barriers will protect visitors and pool staff during any necessary contact.
- Specific entry and exit directional signage protocols will be in effect.
- Pool staff will provide reminders to visitors throughout the day about the requirement for physical distancing.
- Wherever possible, visitors should enter and exit the facility in their swim clothes to minimize crowding in change room areas.
Visitors are encouraged to contact the park office prior to their visit to ensure the pool is open, contact information and hours of operation are below:
- Cypress Hills Provincial Park – Contact: 306-662-5411 Hours of Operation (subject to change): July 1 – August 30 Open: 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Pike Lake Provincial Park – Contact: 306-933-6966 Hours of Operation (subject to change): July 1 – August 30 Open: 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Construction on the brand new pool at Buffalo Pound Provincial Park is nearly complete. An opening date and operating hours for that pool will be announced in the coming weeks.
Additional information, including common questions and answers about the 2020 camping season, can be found at https://www.tourismsaskatchewan.com/places-to-go/provincial-parks/Announcements or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/saskparks/.
For more information, contact:
Parks, Culture and Sport