Released on November 21, 2014Cabtec Manufacturing Inc. and 101103492 Saskatchewan Ltd., operating as Precision Wood Products, pleaded guilty to 16 charges under The Saskatchewan Employment Act and were fined $11,200 in Regina Provincial Court on November 13, 2014.
A total of 110 charges were laid against the companies and several individuals under The Saskatchewan Employment Act. The charges relate to an anonymous complaint filed with the Employment Standards Division’s Compliance Review Unit for failure to pay overtime to employees. Between January and March 2014, the companies and individuals received multiple requests to provide payroll records.
They were subsequently charged with failing to provide payroll records, as follows:
- Cabtec Manufacturing Inc. - 16 counts;
- 101103492 Saskatchewan Ltd. operating as Precision Wood Products – six counts;
- Kenneth Shawn Kowalchuk, director of both companies – 22 counts;
- Kim John Kowalchuk, director of both companies – 22 counts;
- Reliance Financial Group Inc. – 22 counts; and
- David G.J. Gwilliam, Public Accountant and Director of Reliance Financial Group Inc. – 22 counts.
Six charges against Cabtec Manufacturing Inc. and 88 charges against the directors and Reliance Financial Group Inc. were withdrawn.
Cabtec Manufacturing Inc. was also directed to pay outstanding wages to nine employees totalling more than $19,600. Precision Wood Products was directed to pay outstanding wages to six employees totalling more than $2,100.
For more information on employment standards rights and responsibilities in the workplace, please visit www.saskatchewan.ca/work/employment-standards.
For more information, contact:
Labour Relations and Workplace Safety