Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

PROVINCE SEEKS INTERVENER STATUS IN CWB LAWSUIT

Released on July 5, 2007

The Province of Saskatchewan is seeking intervener status in the legal proceedings between the federal government, the Canadian Wheat Board and the Friends of the Canadian Wheat Board.

Agriculture and Food Minister Mark Wartman announced today that the Province will be intervening in the court proceedings, which challenge the legality of the federal government's removal of barley from the Wheat Board's single desk.

"The majority of all barley marketed by the CWB originates from Saskatchewan producers," Wartman said. "This government will not sit idly by when our farming community could potentially lose $40 million in premiums. We feel that we need to have our say in court, and that's exactly what we're going to do."

Last month the federal government changed regulations to remove the CWB's single desk selling authority as of August 1, 2007.

"We maintain that the barley plebiscite held by the federal government was flawed," Wartman said. "We believe that producers should be the ones making the decision through a fair and unbiased process, and we're going to do our best to make sure that is done."

The Government of Saskatchewan stands by its position that the federal government does not have the legal authority to make these changes through regulations. It continues to believe that legislative changes should be required through the House of Commons.

-30-

For more information, contact:

Jenna Robertson
Agriculture and Food
Regina
Phone: 306-787-2359
Email: jroberts@agr.gov.sk.ca

We need your feedback to improve saskatchewan.ca. Help us improve