Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

CURRENT EFFORTS TO SUPPORT MÉTIS ELECTION END

Released on February 2, 2007

The Government of Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan's recent plans to support Métis people organize a new and fair democratic election for the leadership of the Métis Nation – Saskatchewan (MNS) - have come to a halt.

In June 2006, the two governments appointed an Independent Oversight Committee and Chief Electoral Officer (IOC/CEO) to oversee the implementation and the management of the election and just days ago the Committee released a comprehensive election strategy, which could have seen an election as early as June 27, 2007.  However, the strategy did not receive the full support it needed from the Provincial Métis Council, and the federal government has withdrawn its funding for the joint plan.

“We fully supported the work of the IOC/CEO and we are deeply disappointed that we could not come to a favourable conclusion,” First Nations and Métis Relations Minister Maynard Sonntag said.  “As of mid-last week we had hoped that we were still moving forward with the IOC/CEO and the federal government but we discovered late on Friday, January 26 that the federal government was of the view that the plan could not be implemented at this time and was withdrawing its support.”

The federal withdrawal was confirmed in a copy of a letter received by First Nations and Métis Relations late this afternoon.  The withdrawal of federal funding of the joint plan means an end to the current process.

“I would like to thank the IOC/CEO for all their work and efforts to achieve a new fair and democratic election for the Métis people of Saskatchewan,” Sonntag said.  “They worked diligently and with integrity at the request of the two governments and their efforts are to be commended.”

The Government of Saskatchewan will continue to work with Métis affiliates throughout the province to ensure that services to Métis people continue.  In the meantime the province has no plans to resume relations or funding with the MNS.  The severing of relations was made when the province determined that the 2004 MNS election had been neither fair nor democratic and that its results could not be relied upon.

-30-

For more information, contact:

Alethea Foster
First Nations and Métis Relations
Regina
Phone: 306-787-5701
Email: afoster@fnmr.gov.sk.ca 

We need your feedback to improve saskatchewan.ca. Help us improve