Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Grants-in-Lieu of Property Taxes

The province is constitutionally exempt from paying taxes to municipalities. However, in the 1998-99 Budget, the province announced that it would begin payment of grants-in-lieu to municipalities in an amount equal to the general property tax levy for properties owned or managed by the Ministry of SaskBuilds and Procurement (formerly Central Services). This policy took effect on January 1, 1998.


1. Program Details

Grants-in-lieu are grants based on tax notices, not an actual payment of taxes. Grants are based on the previous year's tax notices for properties owned or managed by the Ministry of SaskBuilds and Procurement. If the property is sold or becomes ineligible, the grant is discontinued at the time of the change regardless of the previous year's property tax notice. Since the payments are grants, the government can never be considered in arrears on taxes at any time.

Health facilities, educational facilities and museums currently owned or managed by the Ministry of SaskBuilds and Procurement are exempt from a grants-in-lieu payment. Examples include Saskatchewan Polytechnic (formerly SIAST), regional colleges, Crown-owned health institutions, facilities occupied by a health district and regional care facilities. In 2002, provincial museum properties were added to the list of excluded properties, including Regina's Royal Saskatchewan Museum and Government House.

Improvements made by the Ministry of Highways to properties owned or managed by the Ministry of SaskBuilds and Procurement, particularly coverall sheds 80' x 80' or larger, are not eligible under the program.

No payment will be made in lieu of business taxes since the business tax is levied on business occupants.

Throughout the municipal taxation year, the Ministry of SaskBuilds and Procurement receives and processes municipal property tax bills for payment of grants-in-lieu. Payments are made through the Municipal Infrastructure and Finance branch of the Ministry of Government Relations by the end of June, subject to Cabinet approval.

Grants-in-lieu are based on policy rather than legislation.


2. RCMP Radio Towers

Inquiries about grants-in-lieu for the RCMP's Provincial Public Safety Telecommunications Network (PPSTN) Radio Towers should be directed to the Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency at 306-787-1562 or by email at PPSTN also leases towers from other entities such as SaskTel. Inquiries regarding those towers should be directed to those entities.


3. Crown Corporations

Inquiries about Crown corporation grants-in-lieu should be directed to the Crown Investments Corporation or the individual Crown corporation.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve