A municipality may start a local improvement project for any of the following:
- construction of a bridge which forms part of a street;
- sidewalk and curbing;
- construction of street malls;
- construction of fixtures, poles, or pipes on a street, lane, easement;
- purchasing land for off-street parking;
- construction of sewage system or storm sewer;
- construction of water main;
- sewer or water connections;
- construction of a railway system;
- construction of parks or recreational facilities;
- acquisition of land necessary for the construction of a local improvement; or
- any other work or service the LGC authorizes.
A municipality must apply for approval from the LGC before they start the local improvement project.
If your local improvement will require the municipality to borrow money, please see 'Apply to Borrow Money for a Municipality.'