Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan`s web site have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow text box that resembles the link below and can be found in the right hand rail of the page. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found here:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

The results of software-based translation do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos, and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Reversion of an Organized Hamlet to a Hamlet

Reversion is the process of changing the status of an organized hamlet to that of a hamlet.


Section 52 of The Municipalities Act requires that the council of a municipality in which an organized hamlet is located request that the Minister order the reversion of an organized hamlet to hamlet status if no active hamlet board has existed for the preceding two years.

Alternatively, should an organized hamlet no longer desire to be established as an organized hamlet, an application may be made to its municipality to request that its status be reverted.


It is recommended that a public meeting be held to discuss the status change proposal. Any residents that would be affected by the status change should be invited to attend to discuss the proposal.


Once a it has been decided that an application for reversion will be made, the rural municipality should submit the following information to the Ministry of Government Relations:

  1. a certified copy of a resolution of council requesting the status change;
  2. if applicable, a motion from the organized hamlet board requesting the status change; and
  3. an outline of the public consultation regarding the request.


After a review of the submission, if the Minister is of the opinion that the organized hamlet should be reverted, the Minister may issue an order reverting the organized hamlet to a hamlet. After that time, the hamlet will no longer collect the organized hamlet grant or the previously negotiated portion of the municipal taxes. 

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve