Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Municipality or Hamlet Name Changes

A municipality or organized hamlet may wish to change its name. Section 66 of The Municipalities Act provides the authority for a municipality to apply for a name change.


It is recommended that a public meeting be held to discuss council's desire for a name change.

Once a final decision to apply for a name change has been reached, the municipal council must pass a resolution and submit it to the Ministry of Government Relations. The resolution should be accompanied by a letter setting out the reasons for the request and an outline of any public consultation that was undertaken.

If the Minister is of the opinion that the name of the community should be changed, the Minister will issue an order changing the name of the municipality.

Once an order is made for the name change:

  1. notice of the name change will be published in the Saskatchewan Gazette;
  2. any seal formerly used by the municipality continues to be the seal of the municipality until it is changed by council; and
  3. the change of name does not affect any obligation, right, action, land or improvements incurred, established, taken or acquired before the change.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve