Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Apply for Municipal Boundary Alteration Review

The Municipal Boundary Committee(MBC) reviews applications for municipal boundary changes.  

Below are the steps to apply for a review.


1. Overview

The MBC reviews applications for municipal boundary changes when there is a disagreement between municipalities about the proposed changes.


2. Guidance

When a municipality wants to change their boundaries, they require a complimentary resolution from the other municipality indicating support for the boundary change.

In the absence of a complementary resolution, the municipalities shall seek mediation to resolve outstanding issues.

For the Northern Saskatchewan Administration District (NSAD):

The MBC has the discretion to decide whether or not a NSAD shall work with a mediator. If a mediator isn't required, the NSAD may have their application reviewed by the MBC without using the mediation process.


3. Eligibility

When a municipality requests a complimentary resolution regarding a proposed boundary change, a dispute arises if within 30 days after a request is made:

  • you receive a certified resolution that opposes the proposed changes;
  • you haven't received a response from the municipality; or
  • you haven't received a response from the municipality advising when they will consider your request.

When a dispute arises, you may apply to the MBC if:

  • you have already received mediation for the issues in dispute within the past year and haven't resolved the issues; and
  • it has been at least one year since a similar application was submitted and rejected by the MBC.

4. How to Apply

If you are eligible to apply:

  1. Complete the application for a boundary alteration review, clearly explaining:
    • whether or not mediation has occurred and the details;
    • the issues in dispute;
    • the details of any meetings about the proposed changes, including the meeting dates, outcomes, and facts or issues agreed to or disputed; or
    • the reason for no meeting taking place.

  2. Include the following documents with your application:
    • a map of the proposed changes, including the reasons for the changes;
    • a certified resolution from your municipality; and
    • if applicable:
      • a certified resolution from any other municipality affected by the proposed boundary changes;
      • a summary of the public meeting held to discuss the proposed boundary changes;
      • a copy of each written submission to the public meeting; and
      • a copy of each report or record of mediation.

  3. Submit the application to the MBC:
    • personally by emailing, submitting online, or delivering;
    • by registered mail; or
    • by regular mail.

5. Apply

For Cities:

Form B, The Cities Regulations

For Towns, Villages, Resort Villages and Rural Municipalities:

Form E, The Municipalities Regulations

For Northern Municipalities:

Form H, The Northern Municipalities Regulations


6. Further Information

Legislation that applies to the municipal boundary committee includes:

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve