It is important that the needs of all students are met, including those who are new to Saskatchewan and are learning English as an Additional Language (EAL).
A variety of EAL support documents are available to school divisions, including:
- procedures, guidelines, and protocols to support learning;
- capacity-building for educators, administrators, and school divisions;
- effective practices in teaching, learning and assessment; and
- information-sharing and support for newcomers and their families.
EAL Assessment Supports
The EAL Assessment Toolkit has been provided to school divisions to assist in determining the readiness skills of newcomer learners.
The toolkit was prepared through a ministry project involving five partner school divisions:
- Regina Public Schools;
- Regina Catholic Schools;
- Conseil des écoles fransaskoises;
- Saskatoon Public Schools; and
- Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools.
EAL Assessment Funding 2020-21
The ministry is pleased to continue supporting school divisions with the initial and ongoing assessment of newcomers through the EAL Initial Assessment Fund. Similar to last year, school divisions are invited to apply for the per pupil funding based on the number of newcomer students assessed during the 2019-20 school year.
The last date for the submission of Expression of Interest forms is June 29, 2020.