A permit will allow the vehicle to carry more cargo as long as it does not exceed any other legal dimension they are permitted for. If this occurs, they would require a TPA.
The Over-dimensional Vehicle Haul Partnership Agreement allows the movement of over-length or over-width vehicles and/or loads on the provincial highway system.
- Carrier must follow routes designated in agreement.
- An administration fee of $1,000 is charged annually.
- Vehicle permits issued according to agreements.
- Permits will show permitted dimensions.
Additional Conditions of Over-dimensional Haul Agreements
- Dynamic stability characteristics must be within safe limits.
- Speed is restricted (speed recording devices are required) for vehicles or loads exceeding 26 m in length and/or over legal width and for all configurations where reduced speeds would bring dynamic stability within Transportation Association of Canada standards.
- Operation not allowed where inclement weather or other conditions impair visibility (rain/snow), traction (ice) or handling (winds).
- Drivers are subject to special qualifications and performance criteria where length exceeds 26 m.
- Vehicles exceeding specific dimensions must be properly flagged and/or lit and accompanied by escort vehicle(s).
- Hours of operation are restricted where required in accordance with The Vehicle Weight and Dimension Regulations, 2010.
When vehicles exceed a regulated dimension with a single piece of cargo, they can be issued single trip permits through the SGI permit office (In Province: 1-800-667-7575, Out-of-Province: 1-306-775-6969).