Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Apply for an Oil Well Service Permit

Oil Well service vehicle drivers typically need to work for longer periods than the cycle limits imposed by the federal Commercial Vehicle Drivers Hours of Service Regulations. Annual permits may be issued to oil well service vehicle carriers/drivers exempting them from some regulations.

Oil Well Service Vehicle

An oil well service vehicle is constructed, altered or equipped to accommodate a specific service associated with the oil or natural gas industry to transport equipment or materials to and from oil or natural gas facilities.

To qualify for a permit exemption, you must meet the regulatory definition of an oil well service vehicle.


1. Guidance

Rural Municipalities

Rural Municipalities are responsible for all municipal roads in the municipality and issue over weight permits within their own municipality. Contact the municipality directly, as not all participate in the spring weight restriction program. Rural Municipalities may also set weight restrictions lower than those published for Saskatchewan highways.

Allowable Weight Information

For general weight calculations, contact any of the Area offices listed above, the Permit Office listed above or the Transport Compliance Inquiry Line at 1-866-933-5290. You can also contact the Central Hotline at 1-306-933-5655.

Highway Types that are Restricted

Generally, only the Thin Membrane Surfaced (TMS) highways or secondary highways are subject to spring road restrictions. Primary highways are not subject to spring road restrictions, except under extenuating circumstances.

For Information on The Highways Act Regulations on Weights and Dimensions specific or technical information for larger truck units, in particular trains, please contact Commercial Vehicle Enforcement.

Permits for overweight and over-dimensional loads are restricted to non-divisible loads (e.g., construction equipment, structural steel, large tanks) or loads that are impractical to divide due to physical or economical practicalities (e.g., bundled fence posts).

Divisible loads may be permitted. See Trucking Programs for more information.

Definition of Non-divisible Loads

Non-divisible loads are defined as those loads that cannot reasonably be dismantled or loaded so as to meet legal requirements.

If an over-dimension or overweight load can be reduced within a reasonable time, then it must be reduced. In other words, if a wide load can be made narrower, a long load be made shorter, or an over-height load be made less high, then the load must be reduced. The same applies to overweight loads.

  • Example 1: If a load can be made lighter by removing components (i.e. by removing the blade on a dozer), then the components must be removed prior to transport.
  • Example 2: If a tank is manufactured over legal width and is shipped to another site to be erected/installed, then the requirement would be that components to be attached to the tank will be installed at the destination.

2. Eligibility

Services Covered

  • Moving a rig and its components directly to or from an oil/gas well site.
  • Transportation of camp shacks and well-site trailers that are being moved in conjunction with a rig move to or from an oil/gas well site.
  • Transporting materials or personnel directly to or from a well site necessary for the day-to-day operation of the well (e.g. drilling mud, drill pipe, compressed/liquefied gases, etc.).
  • Transporting materials directly to or from a well site and needed in the day-to-day operation of the oil well (e.g. drilling mud, drill pipe, compressed/liquefied gases, etc.).
  • Directly servicing or drilling of the well head or of equipment directly associated with the drilling of the oil/gas well site such as testing, mud filling, cementing, hydraulic fracturing, data logging, servicing done with a water truck or vacuum truck, etc.
  • Transportation of raw petroleum products (e.g. crude oil, produced water, petroleum condensate, waste sand, tailings) being moved from a well head (or a temporary storage tank located at the well head) directly to a storage/battery/upgrader site for processing or directly to another well head, or other location for disposal.
  • Driving a vehicle operated under this permit directly between an oil/gas well site or a home terminal of the permit holders and either:
  • A repair facility (for maintenance or for a PMVI inspection), or
  • A cleaning/washing facility (equipped with a specialized wastewater capture/disposal system).
  • Non-driving work (e.g. in a shop, warehouse, office, etc.) and operating a vehicle registered for 4,500 kg or less at one or more locations.
  • Conducting driver evaluations/re-certifications in a vehicle as long as the duration does not exceed 3 hours. A copy of the evaluation is to be retained in the driver’s file and the time must be noted in both the drivers’ and examiners’ daily logs.
  • The use of this permit can include providing allowed services regardless of whether cargo/goods/persons are being transported in/on the vehicle. This permit cannot be used for any services or trips other than those listed above.

Services Not Covered

  • Transporting materials to or from an oil/gas well site that are used to prepare/develop the site itself or the road leading to the site (e.g. lumber, gravel, etc.).
  • Transport equipment to or from well site that is used to prepare/develop a site (e.g. dozers, backhoes).
  • Transporting supplies, food, or personnel to support the operation of a camp.
  • Transporting mixed shipments, some to a well site and the rest to another location not covered by the permit.
  • Pipeline construction, maintenance or servicing.
  • Maintenance of vehicles at a well site.
  • Moving any materials, goods or equipment between two shops, storage yards, or other facilities, none of which are an oil well site.
  • Exploration activities (e.g. seismic work, explosives transport/storage, etc.).

Transportation of petroleum products from a battery site or from a temporary storage facility site to any other location (e.g. cleaned crude oil, slop oil, waste sand, etc.).


3. How To Apply

To qualify for a permit exemption, you must meet the regulatory definition of an oil well service vehicle.

Oil Well service vehicle drivers typically need to work for longer periods than the cycle limits imposed by the federal Commercial Vehicle Drivers Hours of Service Regulations. Annual permits may be issued to oil well service vehicle carriers/drivers exempting them from some regulations.


4. Apply

Download the application

Submit completed application by email to Trucking.


5. Further Information

This permit is intended to help balance the risks associated with allowing drivers to take a minimum of three 24-hour periods off duty every 24 days instead of following Cycle 1 or 2 under Section 63 of the regulations.

Because of the serious nature of this permit, it is expected that all permit holders will take all steps necessary to ensure they are meeting the requirement. The driver must complete training directly related to safety requirements associated with operating within the field services sector of the oil or natural gas industry. The training is to include, but not limited to the following:

  • Carrier Fatigue Management Program;
  • Federal Hours of Service Regulation; and one of the following:
    a) Oilfield Driver Awareness Program
    b) Resource Industry Driver Enhancement
    c) Integrated Transportation Training
    d) Other approved alternate training (certified by a safety consultant)

Permit holders must train all drivers prior to operating under the permit; however, drivers may be on the Driver's List and not yet have completed the training, as long as they do not operate under the permit until they are fully trained.

Holders need to successfully develop and operate a fatigue management program.

They must have policies written into their safety program regarding compliance to the permit and have an active and effective "monitoring" program in place to ensure all drivers are complying to Federal Hours of Service Regulations.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve