Learn more about COVID-19 in Saskatchewan. Case numbers are updated daily. 

Effective December 17, all private dwelling indoor gatherings are limited to immediate households only.  Review all public health measures 

Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Energy

Saskatchewan is one of the few places in the world that produces all of these types of energy:

  • crude oil;
  • natural gas;
  • coal;
  • uranium;
  • biofuels;
  • geothermal power;
  • wind power; and
  • hydro power.

In 2019, the combined estimated value of oil and gas production was over $10.5 billion.

With its world-class research facilities and a strong network of suppliers, opportunities abound in Saskatchewan's oil and gas industry. Thanks to a supportive government and stable, transparent regulatory environment, energy companies find the province one of the best jurisdictions in the world to pilot and commercialize new energy-related technologies.

Oil

Saskatchewan is the second-largest oil producer in Canada and the sixth largest onshore producer in Canada and the United States. In 2019, the province produced 177.9 million barrels of oil.

The province has estimated oil reserves of almost 1.2 billion barrels, refining and upgrading capacity, and an extensive network of pipelines. Saskatchewan is home to a significant portion of the Bakken Formation, one of the largest conventional oil plays in North America.

Natural Gas

Saskatchewan is the third-largest natural gas producer in Canada. In 2019, the province produced 179.3 billion cubic feet. Estimated recoverable gas reserves are 1.8 trillion cubic feet.

Opportunities exist in shale gas in central and east-central Saskatchewan.

Nuclear Energy and Electricity

Saskatchewan is the world's leading supplier of uranium – 90 per cent is exported, with the remaining 10 per cent fuelling nuclear reactors in Canada. The province's uranium is responsible for powering approximately 1 in 20 homes in the United States.

Clean Coal

Saskatchewan's expertise in clean coal technologies is a good example of how the province is committed to "greening up" its conventional energy resources.

Enhanced Oil Recovery

Saskatchewan is a leader in petroleum research, especially in the areas of enhanced oil recovery (EOR) and horizontal well drilling. Two commercial EOR projects are currently underway in southeast Saskatchewan using carbon dioxide capture and storage (CCS) technologies.

Opportunities for Servicing the Oil and Gas Industry

Information about opportunities to service Saskatchewan's oil and gas industry can be found in the Oil and Gas Supply Chain Requirement Guide. This report provides the insight necessary for a prospective entrant into the oil and gas sector within Saskatchewan. This report does not provide a step-by-step methodology for a potential entrant, but serves as an introduction to the knowledge necessary to consider entering the market.

We need your feedback to improve saskatchewan.ca. Help us improve