Sponsors are eligible if they are:
- the community housing sector (e.g. non-profit housing organizations and rental co-operatives);
- Municipal Governments and their agencies;
- Indigenous Governments and Organizations (including First Nations Bands, Tribal Councils and Métis organizations); and
- Private entrepreneur/builder/developers.
All sponsors must be registered in Saskatchewan and in good standing with SHC.
SHIM-Low effective July 1, 2020, is:
Careful consideration must be given to actual incomes of the intended tenants and the rental rates affordable to those incomes. "Hard-to-house' households typically do not reach the limits of SHIM-Low.
Projects are eligible if they are:
- for the acquisition and renovation, conversion or new construction of buildings;
- acquisition and renovation of existing buildings and conversion of non-residential buildings will be encouraged in communities with identified need;
- carefully considered the proposed community or region's need for rental units, the demand for this type of housing, the availability and appropriateness of existing housing options, and the long-term viability of the proposed project;
- affordable for individuals or families with an annual gross household income at or below the Saskatchewan Household Income Maximum (SHIM) Low. Careful consideration needs to be given to actual incomes of the targeted households and the rental rates affordable under those incomes; and
- a minimum of four units.
SHC is unable to fund on-reserve housing or licensed facilities.