The Uniform Building and Accessibility Standards Act (the UBAS Act) was replaced by The Construction Codes Act (the CC Act) on January 1, 2022.
All forms, documents, orders, bylaws and permits issued under the UBAS Act remain valid under the CC Act unless these items conflict with the CC Act, in which case the provisions of the CC Act take priority.
The Construction Codes Act (the CC Act) provides the legislative framework for the application of construction codes.
Application of construction codes is a shared responsibility.
- Building owners – responsible for compliance with the standards.
- Local authorities – responsible for administration and enforcement of standards.
- Building officials, plumbing and fire inspectors – work for the local authorities.
- Government – provides legislative, regulatory and policy framework.
- Architects, engineers and contractors – provide services to building owners.