Saskatchewan has adopted the 2020 editions of the National Building Code, the National Energy Code for Buildings and the National Plumbing Code.
Saskatchewan’s adoption of these codes under The Construction Codes Act and Regulations came into force on January 1, 2024. Copies of the Regulations are available to download for free from Publications Centre.
The Codes and Standards that apply to the construction, renovation and the fire safe operation of buildings throughout Saskatchewan include:
- National Building Code
- National Fire Code
- National Plumbing Code
- National Energy Code for Buildings
Application of Codes and Standards are a shared responsibility between:
- Building owners – responsible for compliance with the standards
- Local authorities – responsible for administration and enforcement of standards
- Building officials, plumbing and fire inspectors – work for the local authorities
- Government – provides legislative, regulatory and policy framework
- Architects, engineers and contractors – provide services to building owners
For a list of available advisories, guides, forms and handbooks, go to Building and Technical Standards section in the Government of Saskatchewan's Publication Centre.