Industrial owners and operators are required to apply for a new plant or facility or for a change to an existing approval.
An amendment to an existing approval is required for:
- Any change to the activity governed by the current operating permit;
- Any change to the construction, operation and reclamation of the plant; and
- Any significant addition or changes to the machinery, equipment or process.
Certain exemptions from approval may be granted for:
- Minor changes to operation;
- Reclamation plans;
- Short-term tests; and
- Temporary modifications and changes not resulting in releases to the environment.