The Provincial Mentorship Initiative supports all new health care employees as they transition into the workplace. Mentoring is a process by which an experienced and knowledgeable practitioner (mentor) supports, inspires and nurtures the professional role socialization of a less experienced practitioner (protégé).
The initiative also helps regional health authorities (RHA) develop, implement, and evaluate regional mentorship activities in Saskatchewan.
- To improve recruitment and retention rates.
- To facilitate transition into working in health care.
- To assist with succession planning.
- To increase understanding, awareness, and insight into the benefits and contributions of mentorship to quality workplaces.
- To promote a mentorship culture within health workplaces in Saskatchewan.
- To recognize leadership of experienced staff.
- To promote receptiveness toward new employees.
- To contribute to respectful workplaces.
After obtaining employment with a health region, new hires are encouraged to contact the regional mentorship coordinator to formally register in the Provincial Mentorship Initiative. Mentors and new employees are encouraged to attend a mentorship workshop. Workshop attendance will support the development of a strong and effective mentorship relationship.
Central mentorship coordination will be provided through the Regina Qu'Appelle Health Region's mentorship consultant and the Saskatoon Health Region's mentorship consultant. This includes developing the mentorship guidelines and program tools, supporting the regional initiatives in the implementation phases, assisting in planning and developing mentorship workshops, and ensuring evaluation is conducted.
Regina Qu'Appelle Health Region supports the implementation of the Provincial Mentorship Initiative for the following RHAs:
- Five Hills Health Region;
- Cypress Health Region;
- Sun Country Health Region;
- Sunrise Health Region; and
- Kelsey Trail Health Region.
Saskatoon Health Region supports the implementation of the Provincial Mentorship Initiative for the following RHAs:
- Heartland Health Region;
- Prince Albert Health Region;
- Prairie North Health Region;
- Keewatin Yatthé Health Region; and
- Mamawetan Churchill River Health Region.
For more information about the mentorship program, contact the regional mentorship coordinator for your health region.