Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan`s web site have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow text box that resembles the link below and can be found in the right hand rail of the page. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found here:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

The results of software-based translation do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos, and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Buying Land for Highway Construction

Some new highway construction requires the Government of Saskatchewan to buy land. 

Examples of these improvements include:

  • Highway twinning,

  • Constructing passing lanes,

  • Rural highway upgrades and

  • Building overpasses.

When the Ministry of Highways needs to buy land for highway projects, we to communicate with landowners about:

  • Planning for future highway improvements;

  • Land surveys;

  • Timing of future projects; and/or

  • Sale price for land and compensation for damage.

Acquiring land for highway construction

When land is required for road safety improvements, the government usually acquires land by negotiating a sale with the land owner.  

When this is not possible or the time-frame is short, the government is authorized by law to expropriate title to the land without the consent of the owner. The owner is entitled to compensation. All questions of compensation will be settled through negotiation or at the option of the land owner, by reference to the Court of Queen’s Bench.

When will I be contacted?

Land acquisition may begin as early as two-years prior to highway construction. You will be contacted when there is a need for environmental assessments, planning studies and initial highway design.

If there’s a problem

If you can’t resolve your concerns with the land agent, the land agent can help you contact the Project Manager or the Public and Private Rights Board.

This board helps with non-binding dispute resolution when there is disagreement about route location or the amount of compensation for the property. However, where circumstances warrant, the government can acquire possession or title to land before or during proceedings with the board. You can contact the Public and Private Rights Board at the number below: 

  • Regina: 306-787-4071
  • Saskatoon: 306-933-7767

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve