Budget 2016-17 includes difficult but necessary decisions to ensure the sustainability of valuable services to the people of Saskatchewan. Government opted for a manageable deficit rather than making severe cuts to programs and services, or increasing the tax burden on Saskatchewan people and businesses.
- Total revenue forecast of $14.02 billion
- Total expense forecast of $14.46 billion
- Projected deficit of $434 million
Examples of controlled spending
- Modest expense growth of 2.0%
- Regional Health Authorities reducing administrative expense by $7.5 million and reinvesting that money into front-line staff to improve care for seniors in long-term care
- Changes to programs and services to ensure sustainability and manage costs
- Beginning a government-wide exercise of transformational change to ensure high quality public services delivered in the most effective, efficient way
Government is committed to returning to balance in 2017-18.
Continued strong investments in priority areas
2016-17 Spending Breakdown