SaskAlert is the Government of Saskatchewan’s emergency public alerting program that provides critical information on emergencies in real time, so you can take action to protect yourself, your family and your property. (Information about the national public alerting system can be found at the bottom of the page.)
Why You Should Download the SaskAlert App
An emergency alert issued though SaskAlert will:
- let you know what the emergency is;
- let you know where it is happening;
- provide instructions for you to follow to stay safe; and
- advise you when the incident is over.
Refer to these instructions to help you personalize what alerts to receive on the SaskAlert app.
View current alerts
Who issues alerts and what type of alerts are issued?
Alerts can be issued by: Environment Canada, Government of Saskatchewan ministries, Crowns and agencies as well as participating local governing jurisdictions.
- Environment Canada (EC) is the lead agency responsible to issue all types and levels of weather-related alerts including advisories and special weather statements, watches and warnings.
- SaskAlert will pick up EC weather alerts that have potential to affect life and safety, and will distribute them through SaskAlert.
- The EC weather alerts that SaskAlert carries are:
- Tornado - watches and warnings
- Any warnings issued for: blizzards, blowing snow, dust storms, extreme cold, freezing drizzle, freezing rain, heat and rainfall, severe thunderstorm, snowfall, wind, and winter storm
Government of Saskatchewan:
- Ministries, Crowns and agencies of the Province issue alerts for their areas of responsibility when emergency events are occurring that have the potential to affect life and safety.
- Participants at the provincial level are:
- Ministry of Government Relations - Emergency Management and Fire Safety
- Ministry of Environment
- Ministry of Health
- Ministry of Social Services
- Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure
- Ministry of Parks Culture and Sport
- SaskPower/SaskTel/Water Security Agency
Local Governing Jurisdictions:
- Local governing jurisdictions are defined as:
- Villages and Resort Villages
- Rural Municipalities
- First Nation Communities
Participation in SaskAlert gives jurisdictions the ability to issue alerts about local emergency events to their residents, visitors and anyone passing through the areas. There is no cost to jurisdictions who would like to participate in the SaskAlert program. If you want to know if your jurisdiction is participating or going to participate in the SaskAlert program, please contact your municipal/First Nation administration office.
How do I get an alert?
- SaskAlert Website
Radio and TV will also issue all critical alerts issued by federal, provincial and local alerting authorities
- SaskAlert App
Download the SaskAlert app:
Alert Ready - National Public Alerting System
Alert Ready is the national public alerting system (NPAS). To learn more about the national program, visit the Alert Ready website. Contact your wireless provider if you have questions about your device receiving alerts.