Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Resources for Displaced Ukrainians

The Government of Saskatchewan is committed to welcoming an unlimited number of individuals and families who are fleeing the conflict in Ukraine. There are many supports and services available to welcome and help settle newcomers to the province.


1. Temporary and Permanent Immigration Pathways

Saskatchewan is committed to supporting Ukrainians who are fleeing the invasion of their country through temporary and permanent immigration pathways.

Temporary Residence or Work in Saskatchewan

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) issues temporary work permits and travel documents. As part of Canada's response to the current situation in the Ukraine, IRCC has announced special measures and has created a Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel (CUAET), available for individuals fleeing Ukraine. Anyone authorized to live in Canada under CUAET may be eligible to do so for an initial three years or until their passport expires, with the ability to apply to extend their stay in Canada. The CUAET also gives them the option to apply to IRCC for an open work permit or study while in Canada.

Measures are also in place to allow those already here to extend their stay by up to three years. Those already in Canada that have received a job offer and would like to work can now apply for a work permit from within Canada and begin working while their application is being processed. IRCC will issue open work permits to Ukrainian visitors, workers and students currently in Canada who are unable to go home. Additionally, IRCC is waiving fees for travel and immigration documents, such as for Canadian passports, permanent resident travel documents, proofs of citizenship, visitor visas and work and study permits.

Find up-to-date information on immigration measures for people affected by the situation in Ukraine or contact IRCC directly to find out more about these measures by submitting a webform (add the keyword UKRAINE2022 in the "Your enquiry" box and they will prioritize your request). You may also contact them by phone at +1-613-321-4243.

Immigration to Saskatchewan

IRCC is implementing a special family reunification sponsorship pathway for permanent residence. All Ukrainians who come to Canada as part of these measures will be eligible to apply for open work permits, making it easier for employers to quickly hire Ukrainian nationals.

You can contact IRCC directly to find out more about this pathway and the special measures by submitting a webform (add the keyword UKRAINE2022 in the "Your enquiry" box and they will prioritize your request). You may also contact them by phone at +1‑613‑321‑4243.

The Government of Saskatchewan operates the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP), which is a provincial immigration program that provides a pathway to becoming a permanent resident of Saskatchewan. Ukrainian nationals who have not worked in Saskatchewan previously can apply to the International Skilled Worker categories. After working in Saskatchewan for 6-months, they can apply to the Saskatchewan Experience categories. The SINP is prioritizing applications from Ukrainian citizens.

If have any questions about applying to the SINP or steps after nomination to receive permanent resident status in Canada, please contact a Client Engagement Officer by phone 1-833-613-0485 or email


2. Settlement Services

The Government of Saskatchewan is working with the Ukrainian Canadian Congress of Saskatchewan (UCC) to provide a central point of contact and coordination to help anyone arriving to the province from Ukraine to connect with the information, services and supports they need. UCC Saskatchewan will be working closely with other settlement service providers, employers and communities.

UCC Saskatchewan has launched a registration process for Ukrainians seeking accommodation in Saskatchewan. For more information, please visit the UCC website. The registration form can be found under the UCC Saskatchewan Ukraine Support Committee- Ukraine Support Info Source section.

For additional supports please contact the UCC at 1‑888‑652‑5850 or email

Learn more about settlement services in Saskatchewan.


3. Registering for a Health Card

A Saskatchewan Health Services Card (Health Card) is a personal identification card you present for health services. Applying for a Health Card is the first step to getting provincial medical coverage.


4. Manage Your Money

You'll need to open a bank account soon after arriving in Saskatchewan, so that you can keep your money safe and cash any cheques that you receive.

There are many banks that offer the services you need like:

  • Paying bills;
  • Cashing cheques; and
  • Transferring money between countries.

Find information on Saskatchewan's cost of living and learn more about money, banking, taxes and more.


5. Get Your Driver's Licence

In Saskatchewan, you need a valid driver's licence to drive a car, SUV or truck.

To get a driver's licence, you must be able to:

  • Operate a vehicle safely and properly;
  • Understand all traffic signs; and
  • Know the rules of the road.

Find information on how to get a driver's licence, learn about auto insurance, gain a better understanding of traffic laws and get driving tips.


6. Register Your Child/Children in School

In Saskatchewan, elementary schools have students from Prekindergarten (typically begins at age 3 or 4) and Kindergarten (typically begins at age 5) to Grade 8. Most secondary schools teach students from Grade 9 to 12. Students are placed in classrooms with peers that are of the same age.

The educational goals of newcomer students and their families are supported by the Government of Saskatchewan, educators, education partners and stakeholders.

Learn more about PreK-12 Education for Newcomers.


7. Childcare

Families and communities are supported through Saskatchewan's Early Learning and Child Care Program. This program supports high-quality care for children in healthy, safe and nurturing environments.

Learn about early learning and childcare programs in Saskatchewan, and find a licensed child care provider near you.


8. Community Programs for Families

There are a number of programs and services by Family Resource Centres and community organizations to support families with young children and promote a healthy child development.


9. Power, Heat, Telephone and Internet Services

If heating, electrical, telephone, or other utilities are not included in your rent, or if you've just bought a home, you'll need to have the utilities connected before you move in.

Learn more about Housing in Saskatchewan.


10. Employment Opportunities

If you are looking for employment opportunities, browse the many jobs posted on Saskatchewan's leading job site:

Employment opportunities to support displaced Ukrainian workers are posted with #sksupportsukraine

The Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program is prioritizing applications received from Ukrainian applicants. is connected to the National Job Bank, allowing employers to reach an even greater number of affected individuals.

If you are looking for employment supports, contact SaskJobs Career Services at:

Toll-free Number: 1-833-613-0485
Email address:

For more information, visit SaskJobs Career Services.


11. Supports for Housing and Income

Displaced Ukrainians, arriving through the Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel, may be eligible for the Saskatchewan Income Support (SIS) or Saskatchewan Assured Income for Disability (SAID) programs. Applications for SIS can be made by visiting the nearest Ministry of Social Services office or calling 1-866-221-5200. Applications for SAID can be made by visiting the nearest Ministry of Social Services office or calling 1-888-567-SAID (7243).

Saskatchewan Housing Corporation (SHC) has housing units available in both rural and urban communities across the province that can support displaced Ukrainians. SHC will work with community partners and local housing authorities to connect refugees in need with safe housing as they become settled in Saskatchewan. Families, individuals or community organizations can phone SHC at 1-800-667-7567 to apply for housing support.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve