Renseignements en français

Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan`s web site have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow text box that resembles the link below and can be found in the right hand rail of the page. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found here:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

The results of software-based translation do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos, and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Resources for Refugees

Calling Saskatchewan home is a life-changing move for you. That's why we have put together the following list of resources, to help make your move a little easier.

Settlement Agencies

Your first point of contact should be your nearest refugee settlement agency. 

These agencies are there to help give you more information on things like:

  • Finding a place to live;
  • Filling out forms and applications;
  • English as an Additional Language;
  • Finding a job; or
  • Gaining access to public transportation.

These organizations are here to help you get the information you need and connect you to your new community. They also help you make the best decisions and tell you more about the fun activities Saskatchewan life has to offer:

Registering for a Health Card

Every resident of Saskatchewan needs a Saskatchewan Health Services Card to get medical coverage. There is no cost to apply, and you are the only one who can use your Health Card. 

To apply, you need proof of your legal entitlement to be in Canada, your Saskatchewan Residency, and your identity. Below are examples of documents to provide, you only need to choose one from each category.

  1. Legal entitlement to be in Canada
    1. Permanent Resident Card (copy of front and back)
    2. Confirmation of Permanent Residence Document
    3. Canadian Immigration Identification Card
  2. Proof of Saskatchewan Residency
    1. Signed copy of your rental or lease agreement
    2. Copy of a utility bill (telephone, cable/satellite TV, water, energy or gas)
    3. Copy of your insurance policy (home, tenant or auto)
    4. Employer record ( copy of your pay stub or a letter from your employer on company letterhead)
  3. Support of Identity
    • Passport
    • Copy of your birth certificate
    • Copy of your Employee ID

Manage Your Money

You'll need to open a bank account soon after arriving in Saskatchewan, so that you can keep your money safe and cash any cheques that you receive.

There are many banks that offer the services you need like:

  • Paying bills;
  • Cashing cheques; and
  • Transferring money between countries.

Get Your Drivers Licence

In Saskatchewan, you need a valid driver's licence to drive a car, SUV, or truck.

To get a driver's licence, you must be able to:

  • Operate a vehicle safely and properly;
  • Understand all traffic signs; and
  • Know the rules of the road.

Register your child(ren) in School

Shortly after you arrive in Saskatchewan, you will need to register your child in school.

Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 12 education is publicly funded in Canada. This means that families are not required to pay for the education of their child. Families are responsible for school supplies such as paper and pens, some books and clothing.


Saskatchewan’s Early Learning and Child Care Program supports families and communities by promoting high quality care for children. High quality care means a safe and nurturing environment for children to grow and learn.

Community Programs for Families

There are a number of programs and services by Family Resource Centres and community organizations to support families with young children and promote a healthy child development.

Find the nearest doctor, clinic or hospital

In Saskatchewan, healthcare services are provided by the Saskatchewan Health Authority. To find doctors, clinics or hospitals in your area, contact the Saskatchewan Health Authority.

Speak to a Healthcare Professional

If you have a health concern, phone HealthLine811 by dialling 8-1-1.

Speaking to a healthcare professional can help you decide:

  • To visit a hospital emergency department;
  • See a doctor; or
  • Care for yourself at home.

HealthLine811 is a free, confidential, 24-hour health information and support service that is available in Arabic and more than 100 other languages. 

Power, Heat, Telephone, and Internet Services

Saskatchewan’s Crown corporations are there to help make sure your home is connected for electricity, heat (through natural gas), and Internet and telephone services.

SaskPower (for Electricity)

In case if a power outage:

SaskEnergy (for Natural Gas)

Natural gas is the primary fuel source used during the winter months in Saskatchewan to heat homes and businesses. 

Common appliances fuelled by natural gas include:

  • Furnaces
  • Hot water heaters
  • Fireplaces
  • Ranges

To apply for natural gas service, visit or call 1-800-567-8899.

  • Customer Service Representatives are available Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to answer any questions. 
  • Be prepared to provide your name, address and identification.
  • Visit for more information on natural gas service.

For your safety, SaskEnergy adds an odorant to natural gas which smells similar to skunk, sewer gas, or rotten eggs. This odour indicates if there is a natural gas leak, which must be fixed immediately. 

If a natural gas leak is suspected:

  • Leave the home or area immediately.
  • Do not use any electrical switches, appliances, telephones, motor vehicles, or any other sources of ignition such as a lighter or match.
  • Call SaskEnergy’s 24-hour emergency line from a safe place: 1-888-7000-GAS (427).

If a home doesn't have proper ventilation, excessive amounts of carbon monoxide (CO) can form with the use of natural gas or electrical appliances. Learn about the dangers of carbon monoxide.

Sasktel (for Telephone and Internet)

If you’re new to Canada, SaskTel services will help you settle into life in Saskatchewan as you seek employment, continue your education, and stay in touch with family and friends.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve