Learn more about COVID-19 in Saskatchewan. Daily case numbers and information for businesses and workers.

The Re-Open Saskatchewan plan was released on April 23rd.

Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Language Requirements for SINP

English is the main language in Saskatchewan and you will use it to communicate with your doctor, your employer, neighbours, at the store and more. Your chances of success in Saskatchewan will improve if you can understand and speak English.

In the Workplace

When looking for work, you'll usually have to do some or all of the following in English:

  • Read information about jobs;
  • Fill in an application form;
  • Write a resumé or cover letter; and
  • Answer questions on the phone or in person

Youll need to be able to speak, understand, read and write in English, for most skilled jobs in Saskatchewan. English is also mostly used as the common language in most workplaces. Sometimes, even people who've taken their training in English may find it hard to understand the Canadian accent and work exclusively in English.

Consider Your English Language Skills

Here are some questions to ask yourself as you think about your English language ability:

  • What level of English is required for my occupation?
  • What is my current level of English language ability?
  • Can I do all the things I do at home, in my life and work, in English?
  • What English language training can I get before I leave my home country?

Language Assessment for SINP Application

You must include an official language assessment as part of your SINP application for:

You'll also need to include an assessment if you have a valid job offer in a National Occupational Classification (NOC) C or D occupation. This will meet Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)'s minimum language requirements for the Provincial Nominee Program.

There may be an English language requirement if your job offer is in a regulated occupation. Ask your regulatory body if you need to be tested for English.

Meeting Language Requirements

Many language programs in Canada use a system called the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLBs) to describe and test how well you speak and understand English.

There are 12 benchmarks, with 12 being the highest (showing the strongest English skills) and 1 being the lowest. To do most jobs well, CLB 4 is recommended as a minimum. You can learn more about the CLBs at the Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks website or take an online self-assessment.

If you (as the SINP principal applicant) need to have your language tested, you must provide results from a designated testing agency. The SINP only accepts the following tests. These are equivalent to the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 4.

Name of Test Minimal Scores
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) General Training
Listening - 4.5
Reading - 3.5
Writing - 4
Speaking - 4
The Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP-General) Listening - 4
Reading - 4
Writing - 4
Speaking - 4
The Test d’évaluation de français pour le Canada (TEF Canada) Listening - 145
Reading - 121
Writing - 181
Speaking - 181
 The Test de connaissance du français pour le Canada (TCF Canada) Listening - 331
Reading - 342
Writing - 4
Speaking - 4

International Skilled Workers: Saskatchewan Express Entry

Applicants to the International Skilled Worker: Saskatchewan Express Entry Sub-category must provide valid language test results that match the language level declared in their Express Entry profiles.

Learn more about IRCC's Language requirements – Skilled immigrants (Express Entry). You can also use your test results to find your CLB level on the site.

Saskatchewan Experience: Health Professionals

For most health jobs in Saskatchewan, you'll need to have Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) from at least levels seven to 10.

How Can I Have My English Tested?

If English is not your first language or your training was not in English, you may need to complete an English test to assess your writing, speaking, listening and reading skills.

Find out from your regulatory body:

  • If you need to be tested;
  • Which English tests are accepted; and
  • What scores are required.

English Tests for Health Care Professionals

The following is a list of English testing agencies and their contact details, for health care professions.

Be sure to check with your regulatory body to find out which English tests are acceptable, and what scores are required for your health professionals.

Language Test Equivalencies (IRCC)

IRCC has developed equivalency guidelines for the Canadian Language Benchmarks and the eligible language tests one can submit. The results of the CELPIP, IELTS, and TEF testing scores and their CLB equivalents can be found on IRCC's Language Test Equivalency Charts.

Learning English

Contact your Regional Newcomer Gateway to find out about language classes in Saskatchewan.

The English language classes and programs serve different groups of immigrants. You'll need to learn which classes you are eligible to take and which will best help you develop the English skills you need.

See Language Training to find out more about:

  • Learning English before you come to Saskatchewan.
  • How to have your English language level assessed.
  • English language classes available in Saskatchewan.
  • How to find an English language class where you live in Saskatchewan.

We need your feedback to improve saskatchewan.ca. Help us improve