Learn more about COVID-19 in Saskatchewan. Daily case numbers and information for businesses and workers.

The Re-Open Saskatchewan plan was released on April 23rd.

Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow text box that resembles the link below and can be found in the right hand rail of the page. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

The results of software-based translation do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos, and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Farm Owner and Operator Application - SINP

All in-person immigration services are being re-routed to support public safety and continuity of service as a result of measures taken with the declaration of a provincial State of Emergency in Saskatchewan. If you require information or assistance on immigration issues, please call 1-833-613-0485 or email saskentrepreneur@gov.sk.ca.

For more frequently asked questions related to the COVID-19 outbreak and how it may impact temporary residents, nominees and permanent residency applicants, please see the new Immigration FAQs.

This category is for those who'd like to move to Saskatchewan and who:

  • Have proven experience in farming;
  • Have considerable capital (money, assets) to invest in a farming operation; and
  • Plan to buy and run a farm in Saskatchewan.

1. Guidance

If you're interested in applying in this category, contact us to learn more about what you'll need to qualify for the program. We'll also connect you to officials from Saskatchewan Agriculture. They can advise you on the type of farming operation you plan to operate here.

  • Please note this category is strictly for business in primary agricultural production (crops and livestock). If you're interested in agri-business operations, you may qualify under the SINP Entrepreneur Category.

See the Saskatchewan Farm Land Security Board to learn more about farm ownership legislation.


2. Eligibility

To be approved for nomination in this category, you'll need all of the following:

  • Available Equity: You'll have to provide financial documents that show a net worth of $500,000 (CAD).
  • Refundable Cash Deposit: You must sign a Performance Agreement. By doing this, you'll be committing to purchase and actively operating a farm operation in Saskatchewan. You'll also need to make a "good faith" deposit of $75,000 (CAD) in trust. The cash deposit will be returned to you when you've met the terms of the Performance Agreement. If you don't meet the terms within two years of landing in Saskatchewan, the deposit will be forfeited to the Province.
  • Mandatory visit to Saskatchewan: You'll need to make a comprehensive exploratory visit to Saskatchewan for no less than 10 working days.
  • Farm operation knowledge and experience: You'll need to provide documentation (e.g. education and training, work experience, financial documents of your previous operations) that demonstrates you're an experienced farm operator. If necessary, we may verify this information further through an interview when you are in Saskatchewan.
  • A practical, well-thought-out proposal for a commercial Saskatchewan farming opportunity. (See Important Terms: Farm Proposal Viability).

Provincial and Federal immigration program criteria can change at any time. SINP applicants will be assessed against Provincial program criteria and eligibility requirements in place when their application was submitted. Please refer to IRCC's website for up-to-date information regarding criteria and requirements in place for Permanent Residence applications.

The federal government sets the amount of nominations the SINP can make every year. No application is guaranteed to be accepted and/or nominated.

Farm Owners and Operators - Young Farmer Stream

The Young Farmer stream of the Farm Owners and Operators category was created to allow young farm families to establish their lives and farming operations in rural areas of Saskatchewan.

Application Criteria

To be approved for nomination in this stream, you'll need to:

  • Have a personal net worth of at least $300,000 (CAD) that can be confirmed.
  • Have accumulated your net worth legally. We should be able to confirm this as well.
  • Be under the age of 40 at the time of your application.
  • Have at least three years experience in:
    • Farm ownership;
    • Farm management; or
    • Practical farming experience.
  • Provide a documented proposal for a commercial Saskatchewan farming opportunity. Your proposal should be based on research, consultations or formal coursework relevant to Saskatchewan agricultural conditions. Hobby farms don't qualify. Also, the farming proposal should be a commercial project with a reasonable expectation of profit. In Saskatchewan, a qualified farming business must have a minimum of $10,000 CAD annual revenue.
  • In addition to all the above, you or your spouse must have marketable employment skills, based on education and experience that allows you to supplement your farming income.

Nomination Requirements

You may be disqualified from this sub-category if:

  • You don't meet one or more of the eligibility criteria listed above;
  • You or any dependent family member (accompanying you or not) has a serious medical condition;
  • You or any dependent family member over the age of 18 (accompanying you or not) has a criminal record;
  • You have unresolved custody or child support disputes affecting any member of your family;
  • You have intentionally committed misrepresentation during the application process; and/or,
  • You have intentionally committed fraud during the application process.

Before you submit your application:

  • Ensure you meet the eligibility criteria;
  • Ensure you're able to access and prepare the required forms and documents for the application;
  • Ensure you're prepared to comply with the requirements and steps involved in the application process, including:
    • Paying a $2,500 CAD processing fee;
    • Paying the $75,000 CAD deposit; and
    • Fulfilling the requirements of the program; and
  • Make an exploratory visit to Saskatchewan: You'll stay in Saskatchewan for at least 10 days, conducting comprehensive research through meetings with service professionals.

3. How To Apply

You have to submit all the documents listed in the SINP Farm Category Application Document Checklist. Use this checklist to prepare your application.

If you live in, or are a citizen of a country in the Country Specific Checklist, make sure you include the documents required for this country in the application, or your application won't be accepted for processing.

Document Translation

All your documents must be in English of French. If they're in another language, you must submit;

  • A photocopy of the original document;
  • A photocopy of its translation; and
  • A Translator Affidavit that describes the ability of the translator.

Translations may be done by anyone, except:

  • Your spouse;
  • A member of your family; or
  • A paid third party that has prepared your application to the SINP.

Some Canadian visa offices ask that documents are translated by a certified translator. The SINP doesn't ask for this, but you should still make sure your translated documents meet all federal requirements.

Who to Include in Your Application

As the Principal Applicant who's applying to the SINP to own and operate a farm in Saskatchewan, you may include the following as part of your application for nomination:

  • Your spouse. (See SINP Important Words and Definitions: spouse);
  • Your common-law partner (See SINP Important Words and Definitions: common-Law partner);
  • Your dependent children (See SINP Important Words and Definitions: dependent children); and
  • An employee of yours in your current farming operation. The employee must submit his or her skilled worker application that includes all the required documents and information to the SINP. In this case, the employee would be the Principal Applicant.
    • This skilled worker application can be included as part of the Farm category application for simultaneous processing.
    • You, as the Principal Applicant of the Farm category application, must provide a letter of offer to the accompanying employee, for application processing.

Net Worth Evaluation - Third Party Financial Service Providers

The SINP uses two professional third-party financial service providers to assess the net worth and legal accumulation of net worth of applicants to this category.


333 Bay Street, Suite 4600
Toronto Ontario, M5H 2S5
Phone: 416-777-3887
Email: SINPverification@kpmg.ca

MNP Ltd.

Regina Saskatchewan, S4P 0J3
Phone: 306-790-7900
Email: mnp.sinp@mnp.ca

Once your application has been reviewed and is deemed complete, the SINP will direct you via email to contact a third party financial service provider. This correspondence will contain your application number. Your application number is required for the following steps:

  1. Submit all relevant documents listed on the Third Party Document Checklist, with your file number to one of the third-party providers listed above. Your information won't be reviewed without this file number.
  2. Make sure all your information (financial statements, property evaluations, bank account information, etc.) are up-to-date and correct. This will help speed up the evaluation process.
  3. Once your assessment is complete, you'll receive an evaluation report from the service provider.
  4. To complete your application, submit the evaluation report and updated information to the SINP. Submit your application for nomination to the SINP and include your evaluation report and any updated information.
  5. Be sure to submit your application within 90 days of receiving your evaluation report.


Submit photocopies of all passports for you and all the family members that will be coming with you. Each photocopy must include passport pages showing:

  • The passport number;
  • The date of issue and expiry date;
  • The bio-data page showing the photograph, name, date and place of birth; and
  • All passport pages showing exit and entry stamps.

If you submit incomplete passport documents, your application may be classified as "Incomplete" and will be returned to you without being assessed by the SINP.


4. Apply

Submit your application by courier or in person to:

Government of Saskatchewan
Immigration Services Division
Farm Unit
Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program
7th Floor - 1945 Hamilton Street
Regina, Saskatchewan CANADA S4P 2C8

Provide an up-to-date personal email address that can be used to communicate with SINP officers. If not, please not that processing times will increase due to the time needed for mail services.

The SINP Application Review and Assessment Process:


Once we have received your application, you'll receive a Letter of Receipt and file number.


Your application will be screened for completeness. Only applications that are complete in accordance with the Application Document Checklist and Country Specific Checklist (where applicable) will be accepted for SINP assessment.

  • If your application is considered complete, you'll be sent an Acceptance of Application and Request for Processing Fee letter. This letter will tell you how to make the $2,500 CAD application processing fee by wire transfer.
  • If your application is considered incomplete, you'll be sent a Return of Incomplete Application letter. This letter will tell you what documents are needed to meet pre-screening requirements. The application will also be returned to you.

Application Processing Fee

Once we receive confirmation that you've paid the application fee, your application will be accepted for assessment.

Assessment and Optional Interview

Next, we'll evaluate your application using the eligibility criteria.

  • If we need more documentation to assess your application, we may issue you a request for more information. You must respond to this request within forty-five (45) days.
    • If we don't receive the documentation we ask for in the given time, your application may be closed and returned to you without SINP assessment.
  • If we need more information or clarification to assess your application, we may issue a request for an interview with you.
    • We'll provide as much notice of the interview as possible, and will offer two available interview dates. Be sure to respond to the interview request in the time given in the request. If an in-person interview is not possible and you've provided information with the reasons you can't attend the interview in-person, other arrangements can be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Following the review and evaluation process, we'll let you know the outcome of the assessment.

  • If your application is approved for nomination, you'll be sent a Nomination Approval and Request for Deposit letter and a Business Performance Agreement.
    • The letter will instruct you on how to make the refundable $75,000 CAD Good Faith Deposit by wire transfer. It will also provide you details with of the requirements of the Business Performance Agreement. This agreement is a legally binding contract.

We must receive the full Good Faith Deposit within three months of the issued Nomination Approval and Request for Deposit letter, or your application will be closed and no nomination will be issued.

  • If your application is refused, you'll be sent a Letter of Refusal.


Once you return the signed and dated Business Performance Agreement to the SINP, and we confirm that the Good Faith Deposit has been received, you'll be nominated.

  • We'll send you a nomination package including a Confirmation of Nomination letter and information on how to proceed with an Application for Permanent Resident Status with IRCC. If you request it, we'll also issue you a Temporary Work Permit Support letter.
    • This will give you the opportunity to come to Saskatchewan earlier to begin preparations for your farm establishment. Note that the SINP does not issue Temporary Work Permit Support letters for all applicants.
    • We'll send a Nomination Certificate to the appropriate IRCC Visa Post. Certificates are valid for six months.

After Nomination:

Applying for Permanent Residence

After you receive notice that you've been nominated by the SINP, you're responsible for submitting an Application for Permanent Residence to IRCC.

  • Be sure to apply for permanent resident status before your Nomination Certificate expires or your application will be closed.

The Confirmation of Nomination letter includes detailed instructions on how to apply to the appropriate Visa Post. Submit your Application for Permanent Residence to IRCC at the Visa Post specified in this letter.

  • IRCC will conduct security, criminality and health checks, and will screen applications for misrepresentation. They'll then send you instructions on medical examinations and may ask for more documentation. In some cases, you may have to attend an interview.

If you meet all federal requirements, IRCC will issue Permanent Residence Visas for you and your accompanying family members.

Landing in Saskatchewan

Once you've arrived in Saskatchewan, you'll need to attend a Landing Interview with an SINP Landing Officer. You can request this interview by emailing saskentrepreneur@gov.sk.ca.

  • After the interview, we'll continue to be available to you. We'll also provide information and guidance on the establishment of your farm, through referrals to business service providers and on-site visits.
  • You're encouraged to use the settlement services available in Saskatchewan. You can access government funded settlement services through various Regional Newcomer Gateways.
    • These organizations are welcoming centres for newcomers to Saskatchewan. They provide language assessment services, career and employment services (for your accompanying family members), and guidance and advice from a Settlement Coordinator. The Regional Newcomer Gateways can also connect you to community and ethno-cultural groups.
Return of the Good Faith Deposit

You may apply for your Good Faith Deposit to be returned:

  • Within two years of your landing in Saskatchewan;
  • When all terms of the Business Performance Agreement have been met; and
  • When you can show that you have actively invested in the relevant Saskatchewan-based farm for a minimum period of six (6) months.

You must submit an Application for Deposit Refund Request as well as all required documentation to prove that the terms of the Business Performance Agreement have been met. We'll assess your application using the criteria set within the Business Performance Agreement.

  • If we conclude that all conditions for the deposit's return have been met, we'll return the $75,000 CAD Good Faith Deposit and any interest accumulated on it to you. Be sure to provide your financial institution's updated contact information for this transaction.
  • If we conclude that the conditions for return have not been met, you'll be informed of the outstanding criteria that you must meet before the deposit will be returned.
  • If we conclude that you're responsible for any of the following, we'll retain the Good Faith Deposit and any interest accumulated on it:
    • You don't complete the process to become a Permanent Resident;
    • You don't complete the process to land in Saskatchewan; or
    • You don't meet the conditions of the Business Performance Agreement.
  • If we conclude that you purposefully misrepresented yourself and/or committed fraud to obtain permanent residence, we'll retain the Good Faith Deposit and any interest accumulated on it.

If you don't apply for the return of the Good Faith Deposit before the deadline in your Business Performance Agreement, we'll send you a Procedural Fairness letter, 60 days before the agreement expires.

  • This letter will warn you about the deadline and state that we'll retain the deposit if you don't fulfill the terms of the Business Performance Agreement. If you need an extension to the agreement, submit an Application to Change Performance Agreement to the SINP no later than 30 days before the deadline in the agreement.

The Good Faith Deposit is also refundable if you're approved for Nomination and are unable to accept it for humanitarian reasons. Humanitarian reasons include, but are not limited to, circumstances in which:

  • You and/or your accompanying family members would endure hardship if you were to travel and/or leave your home country because of situations related to personal divorce, a death in the immediate family or other mitigating circumstances;
  • You and/or your accompanying family members would endure hardship if you were to travel and/or leave your home country because of personal or family related medical circumstances; or,
  • You and/or your accompanying family members would endure financial hardship if you were to travel and/or leave you home country because of circumstances related to contractual agreements regarding the sale or divestment of current financial holdings.

What You Need to Know about Using Immigration Representatives

You are not required to use an immigration representative or consultant to apply to the SINP. But if you wish to hire a representative, you must make sure they're a lawyer in Canada in good standing with a provincial law society or licensed by the Government of Saskatchewan. Visit Using an Immigration Representative for more information. You may also view a list approved immigration consultants. You can learn more about Saskatchewan's laws that protect foreign workers from exploitation and mistreatment during the recruitment and immigration process by visiting Protection for Immigrants and Foreign Workers.

Application Guides and Forms



For help with filling out the federal forms, watch the following videos:

We need your feedback to improve saskatchewan.ca. Help us improve