Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan`s web site have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow text box that resembles the link below and can be found in the right hand rail of the page. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found here:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

The results of software-based translation do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos, and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Compensation for Victims of Crime

Victims of crime are able to apply for reasonable expenses resulting from criminal acts of personal violence, such as physical and/or sexual assault, murder, robbery and kidnapping. It does not cover expenses related to property crimes. For expenses related to property crimes, you may apply for Restitution for Victims of Crime

You may be eligible for compensation if: 

  • the crime occurred in Saskatchewan; 
  • the crime is reported to the police; 
  • the harm is the result of a Criminal Code offence listed in The Victims of Crime Regulations, 1997, including personal violence such as robbery, sex crimes, assault causing bodily harm, manslaughter, murder, attempted murder and kidnapping; and 
  • application for compensation is made within two years from the date of injury, or in the case of sexual assault, within two years from the date the offence was reported to police. 

You do not need a lawyer to apply. Applications will be accepted up to two years after the crime has been committed. In cases of sexual assault, you may apply up to two years after the date the offence was reported to the police. 

You can be compensated for reasonable expenses including: 

  • certain medical costs (such as ambulance and prescriptions not covered by another plan and dental, chiropractic and eyeglass costs); 
  • counselling, including traditional Aboriginal healing methods, while you are involved in the criminal justice system; 
  • funeral expenses to a maximum of $5,000 where not covered by other programs; 
  • loss of income where it is not covered by Employment Insurance, Workers' Compensation or an insurance plan; 
  • damage to or loss of clothing as a result of the crime. 

Compensation is not available for pain and suffering, personal property damage or legal fees.

Victims Compensation Program - Application Forms

A victim of a criminal act of personal violence must first report the crime to the police. The next step is to fill out a Victims Compensation Program application form. The various application forms are provided below. They can be filled out on a computer and printed, but must be mailed to the Victims Services Branch. These forms are also available from Victim Services Units and Agencies.

Forms include:

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve