Renseignements en français

Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Limitations, Fees and Other Considerations

Claims over $30,000

The ORT cannot make an award exceeding $30,000. If your claim exceeds $30,000, you have two choices:

  • you can sue in the Court of Queen's Bench for the full amount; or
  • you can waive the amount over $30,000 and make the claim in the ORT.

For example, an applicant claims that they are owed $37,000. The applicant can use the Abandonment of Claim in Excess of $30,000 form to waive any amount over $30,000, and pursue the claim in ORT. If the hearing officer finds fully in the applicant's favour, the award can only be $30,000. Note that the applicant should come prepared to prove all $37,000 in claims. Some of the claims may be disallowed, but others may succeed. If the hearing officer finds that the total damages are equal to or exceed $30,000, the applicant will receive the maximum award of $30,000. The $30,000 awarded will wholly satisfy the whole of the $37,000 claimed. The excess of $7000 is waived forever. Note that you may not split your claims and make two claims; for example, one for $17,000 and one for $20,000.

Limitation Period

You cannot wait indefinitely to make a claim. Acts or omissions which occur on or before September 14, 2021, may be brought to the ORT within two years. Acts or omissions which occur on or after September 15, 2021, may be brought to the ORT within one year. If a tenancy ends on or after September 15, 2021, a tenant may dispute the security deposit claim within 60 days of the tenancy end date.  


The fee for all applications is $50 and is non-refundable. If a tenancy ended on or before September 14, 2021, there is no fee to dispute a security deposit claim. If a tenancy ended on or after September, 15, 2021, a $50 fee is applicable to dispute a security deposit claim.  
  1. Fees may be waived. Use the Application for Fee Waiver to apply for a Fee Waiver Certificate under The Fee Waiver Act.

Other considerations

If you are claiming money, you should consider whether the claim justifies the time, effort and some expense on your part. There is no guarantee of collecting on any judgment you might obtain. If the respondent has no job or assets, and no prospects of either, there may be no means to collect, even if you succeed. The ORT is not a collection agency. An order for payment of money is a legal determination by the ORT who owes money and how much. If the debt is not paid voluntarily, the order may be registered with the courts and enforced through the sheriffs. The sheriffs will need information about where to find assets or income that can be seized.

We need your feedback to improve Help us improve