Effective Friday, September 17, a province-wide mandatory masking order will be implemented for all indoor public spaces. 

Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.


It is important you leave a forwarding address or an email address for the landlord to send:

  • a refund of the security deposit;
  • a notice of claim on the security deposit; or
  • a claim for a portion of the security deposit and a refund of the balance.

If you do not get the security deposit or a written claim on the security deposit after your tenancy ends, or if you don't agree with the landlord's claims, you can apply to the ORT for an order directing the landlord to return the security deposit.

If you receive a written claim from the landlord and you wish to dispute it, simply fill out the bottom of the claim form and send it to the ORT.

You may also fill out a Tenant Application for Return of Security Deposit and Interest if you have provided a forwarding address or email address and your landlord has not returned your security deposit within seven business days.

If a tenancy ended on or before September 14, 2021, there is no fee to dispute a security deposit claim and it may be disputed within two years of the tenancy end date. If a tenancy ended on or after September 15, 2021, a $50 fee is applicable to dispute a security deposit claim and it may be disputed within 60 days of the tenancy end date. A hearing will be scheduled and you and your landlord will be notified of the hearing date by letter. Both the landlord and the tenant are deemed to receive the letter on the third day after it is sent. The landlord must pay the security deposit to the ORT, or may lose the right to the security deposit.

A hearing officer will hear both sides, make a decision as to the validity of the landlord's claims, and make an order directing how the security deposit will be distributed. There is no interest payable on the security deposit if the tenancy was less than five years.

We need your feedback to improve saskatchewan.ca. Help us improve