Learn more about COVID-19 in Saskatchewan:

Google Translate Disclaimer

A number of pages on the Government of Saskatchewan's website have been professionally translated in French. These translations are identified by a yellow box in the right or left rail that resembles the link below. The home page for French-language content on this site can be found at:

Renseignements en Français

Where an official translation is not available, Google™ Translate can be used. Google™ Translate is a free online language translation service that can translate text and web pages into different languages. Translations are made available to increase access to Government of Saskatchewan content for populations whose first language is not English.

Software-based translations do not approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator. The translation should not be considered exact, and may include incorrect or offensive language. The Government of Saskatchewan does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. Some files or items cannot be translated, including graphs, photos and other file formats such as portable document formats (PDFs).

Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk. Government of Saskatchewan is not responsible for any damage or issues that may possibly result from using translated website content. If you have any questions about Google™ Translate, please visit: Google™ Translate FAQs.

Get a Burn Notification Number

From April 1 to October 31, you need a Burn Notification Number for open fires in a provincial forest, in park land, or any quarter section wholly or partly within 4.5 kilometres of a provincial forest. If you're burning within a rural municipality, remember all municipal bylaws and policies also apply to you.


1. Guidance

By getting a Burn Notification Number, you will help make sure that firefighters don’t respond unnecessarily to your controlled burn. Also, when you contact the local Forest Protection Office, they can let you know if conditions are such that you should postpone your burn.

Under new regulations, these notifications have replaced burning permits.

For details about the new regulations, including exemptions for small fires, go to the Open Burning Synopsis.


2. Eligibility

If you plan to burn in a provincial forest, in park land, or any quarter section wholly or partly within 4.5 kilometres of a provincial forest during the wildfire season, from April 1 to October 31, you must get a Burn Notification Number.


3. How To Apply

Get your free burn notification number by contacting your local Wildfire Management Forest Protection Area Office during business hours, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. When you call, have the following information ready:

  • name or organization responsible;
  • contact number(s);
  • mailing address;
  • email address (if applicable);
  • burn location(s); and
  • purpose of the burn.

After you obtain your Burn Notification Number, please call Emergency Management and Fire Safety's Control Burn number, 1-866-404-4911, to let them know about your burn plan. This will help avoid unnecessary dispatches of firefighting resources to controlled fires.


4. Apply

Call your local Forest Protection Area Office and get your notification number.


5. Further Information

Burn Notification Numbers expire at the end of the day following the day of issue. For brush piles only (defined in regulation as not less than two metres in height and three metres in diameter), the Burn Notification Number will expire at the end of the fourth day after the day of issue. All fires must be extinguished by the expiry date and time.

Remember: It's Your Fire

Whether you need a Burn Notification Number or not, anyone who starts an open fire that spreads, or is likely to spread, is liable for the ministry's costs to control the fire. Your fire is your responsibility.

We need your feedback to improve saskatchewan.ca. Help us improve